Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Confused about NDK versions

Public production devices will have a mix of OS versions starting with 10.9.2372 (currently the only other one is 10.0.10.261) and Dev Alphas have slight variants from some of these full versions.  The point of that release note is if you want maximum exposure, you need to set a minimum version that allows the app to be deployed to as many devices as possible.  But this also means that you have to be very careful about which APIs to use so that you do not use an API that is not available on the minimum OS platform.  This doesn't mean that you have to use an older SDK.  You can use a newer one but you have to be careful not to use new APIs except in cases where they will not be used on an older OS.  

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
vladest
My Device: N950/E7/N808/N9/X7/BB10 Alpha

Isn't this is something that should be checked by AppWorld/OS itself at install time?
Qt/Symbian/Meego/BB10/Cascades developer
Developer
Developer
tw_
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha A

MSohm wrote:

Public production devices will have a mix of OS versions starting with 10.9.2372 (currently the only other one is 10.0.10.261) and Dev Alphas have slight variants from some of these full versions.  The point of that release note is if you want maximum exposure, you need to set a minimum version that allows the app to be deployed to as many devices as possible.  But this also means that you have to be very careful about which APIs to use so that you do not use an API that is not available on the minimum OS platform.  This doesn't mean that you have to use an older SDK.  You can use a newer one but you have to be careful not to use new APIs except in cases where they will not be used on an older OS.  

Thanks for the explanation.

But I just installed Momentics on a second PC. When I tried to update to the SDK versions the Update Manager shows only an empty list now? Is there something broken in the SDK update repository server?

So on the second PC I have just 10.0.9.1673 right now.

MSohm

You should see more options than that.  Have you tried the Refresh Available SDKs link on the update wizard page?

Mark Sohm

Developer
Developer
tw_
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha A

MSohm wrote:

You should see more options than that.  Have you tried the Refresh Available SDKs link on the update wizard page?

Yes I have but to no avail. There are no SDK updates any longer available for the Gold SDK.

So I just installed Momentics SDK Beta 10.1 and there I get:

10.0.10.263 Dev Alpha

I guess I have to work with the beta version?

MSohm

This is very strange.  From the gold BlackBerry Native SDK I see 10.0.9.2372, 10.0.10.672 and 10.0.10.263 being available.

What country are you located in?  Is it possible to try from a different network?

Mark Sohm