If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
hiral123
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Couldn't understand BlackBerry's stratergy

Just read on RoadMap that the Android Runtime is going to be upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.1 from Android Gingerbread 2.3.3. The goal is to support all current features and APIs available on the Android Runtime platform today as well as evaluate new features and APIs for inclusion.

Why didn't BlackBerry just install Android OS on BlackBerry hardware, create a BBM app for Android & sell? & I bet that would do much better than the BlackBerry 10 OS.

Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Couldn't understand BlackBerry's stratergy

[ Edited ]

from scratch, developing for BB10 vs android is much easier, they're only upgrading the runtime so that newer versions of android apps (skype) will run perfectly on BB10 as gingerbread versions already do without the devs needing to create a brand new app for the platform

Why swat one fly when you can get 2 in the same blow

Please use plain text.
Developer
javayoung
My Device: Alpha 10, Bold 9900, Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Curve 9320, Curve 8900
My Carrier: All

The performance of C++ is better than Java in this kind of Desktop application. I think that BB10 will win in future.

p(^_^)q
Good good study, day day up
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Brennan12325
My Device: None

Additionally, since BlackBerry is not Samsung, they would sell 0 android devices.

----------------------
Check out my app, Alien Flow for reddit

And of course, like my post if you found it helpful or informative!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bcs925
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Don't feed the trolls...
---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hiral123
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

My question here is what differentiator does BB 10 os have? Why wasted so much money to create a brand new os with no differentiator? and is Android Runtime the only way left to survive?

Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

The BB10 OS has a lot of good things going for it... Heck just the fact that it has the power and capability to run the android runtime is cool.

BB10 brings a great UI library (Cascades) that was designed around usability (eg nav bar at the bottom within easy reach) gestures instead of clunky buttons and solid, usable multitasking built in.

As a developer I can create my screens in cascades and deploy/test them on my device without having to write a ton of code... And the library bakes in slick styles behaviors and animations for me.

Was the android runtime a great idea? Only time will tell but one thing it certainly did was get developers that otherwise might not have considered jumping on board with BlackBerry to give it a shot. Most developers that did so are now "in the game" and are looking into just how easy Cascades, WebWorks are and working on building a BlackBerry app directly.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.