Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
punto
My Device: playbook

Creating a project for binary distribution

Hi.

I have an engine that already compiles using command line and scons, and I have 3 binaries (debug, release and simulator), what's the best way to create a project on the IDE where I add the binaries, set them as entry point for each configuration, add some assets, and run it? Right now, it seems like all the options in the "new project" dialog assume that my project will compile code, but that's not the case here.

The closest I could do was creating a project that uses makefiles, and trick it to not do anything, but it was kinda complicated to create properly (and it doesn't seem to be an option anymore).

I'd prefer to use that instead of the command line tools to launch stuff on the playbook, since the IDE has nice features like displaying the console output and option to connect with the debugger.

Thanks.

Ariel.

Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Creating a project for binary distribution

I am afraid to be able to debug you need source files thus compiled from IDE.

All console output is put into logs/log file so you do not need IDE to see what is put to console by your app.

Contributor
punto
My Device: playbook

Actually you can still debug, if the source code is somewhere in your computer, gdb will find it, it doesn't have to be added to the IDE project. And even if it's not, it'll give you a stacktrace and a line number when it crashes, that's more than enough (and it might even give you access to the gdb console, which would be ideal).

Also I know the output is on some file, but it's kind of a pain in the **bleep** to retrieve compared to having it show in real time while you run the app on your device, which is very convenient.

Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

you want console in real time? here it is:

in NDK's Targets navigator right click on your device and click SSH session then in terminal window tail -f logs/log (wfter you start your app)

(if you dont find a way to do what you want - debugging without compiling)