Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
alopix
My Device: Z10 LE & PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Debug AIR native extension (ANE)

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to somehow debug the AIR native extensions when running on the PlayBook, or at least get some output/print-debugging feedback?

I tried it like described in this tutorial but don't know where the fprintf/fflush output can be found :smileysad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blogs /dev/alopix and /home/alopix
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Debug AIR native extension (ANE)

The stdout and stderr are always redirected to the logs/log file under the current directory of your app.  You can look at that directly, assuming you don't already have some other means, by using SSH to connect to your PlayBook or simulator and find the appdata folder for your app.

Some background on the filesystem layout is http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/BlackBerry-PlayBook-File-System-L...

Numerous other threads and blog posts have covered connecting via SSH.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
alopix
My Device: Z10 LE & PlayBook

Thanks for the quick answer. Should have omitted the AIR part of my searches :smileyvery-happy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blogs /dev/alopix and /home/alopix
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

You can also attach Momentics to the running AIR debug launcher (adl) process on your Playbook and set breakpoints in your ANE, step through code, inspect variables etc using the Momentics debugger in parallel with the Flash Builder debugger.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

peter9477 wrote:

The stdout and stderr are always redirected to the logs/log file under the current directory of your app.  You can look at that directly, assuming you don't already have some other means, by using SSH to connect to your PlayBook or simulator and find the appdata folder for your app. [...] Numerous other threads and blog posts have covered connecting via SSH.

Momentics contains a few very handy views for this: a target file system explorer and an SSH termnal which handles token exchange for you. Look under Window > Views. Much easier than messing around with an SSH client...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Indeed it is easier Jon. That's what I meant by my "assuming you don't already have some other means". If you are using the IDE, raw SSH isn't something you really need to sort out.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.