If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
tommy20
My Device: Curve 9300, BB10 Dev Alpha C, Z10

Developing Map-based apps for BB10

Hi everyone and RIM representatives,

The current BB10 MapView API (as per SDK beta 3) provides a very limited features. It only allows you to show a "plain" map (BB10 built-in map) which can be centered by a given lat/lon. But you currently can't place drop pins or other layers on the map. There is also no way to set the zoom level... and many other missing ones.

And also this article (http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/lightweight-maps-for-mobile-part-1/) makes me confused about the future of BB10 MapView API. Does it article encourage us to use third-party map APIs?

Anyway, I would like to know the future of Maps on BB10. Which direction would I target to: BB10 MapView API or third-party map APIs?

Thanks

Tom

--tom
Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Developing Map-based apps for BB10

I actually found some stuff in the MapView API that looks like it could be used to do more manipulation of the map, but I haven't yet successfully managed to actually use any of it.  (Nor have I seen any samples of it.)

MapView has a function that provides a pointer to a MapData object.  MapData has functions for adding and removing "Geographic" objects.  A subclass of Geographic is GeoLocation, which looks like a placemark of sorts.

If anyone has actually figured out how all this fits together, and whether or not it actually works, please let us know.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi
My Device: Not Specified

Hi,

I run the sample application provided in the Beta3 SDK. But when i run this on device it will only display black screen i change the lat/lon to my current lat/lon but that did not work.

Can you please help me if you are able to successfully run the map view application?

Thanks,

Megha.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tommy20

Hi Megha,

You should post this question on another thread.

Anyway, I initially also got into the same issue you said but I figured out that if I zoom out (i.e., reduce the zoom level), I can see the map. ALso make sure your device has network connected.

Cheers,

tom

--tom
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

tommy20 wrote:
The current BB10 MapView API (as per SDK beta 3) provides a very limited features. It only allows you to show a "plain" map (BB10 built-in map) which can be centered by a given lat/lon. But you currently can't place drop pins or other layers on the map. There is also no way to set the zoom level... and many other missing ones.

Anyway, I would like to know the future of Maps on BB10. Which direction would I target to: BB10 MapView API or third-party map APIs?

I strongly recommend you watch the JAM17 session video at http://hosting.desire2learncapture.com/RIM (especially from 20:00 until 29:00, and note the PDF as well) since it will probably answer many of the questions and concerns you have.  There are still unknowns, but I believe it will reassure you that RIM is planning a rather full-featured map API for us.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
tommy20

Hi peter,

I've watched that video before posting my concern. But it looks like these features are future plans, they are not available yet (even they did not provide a demo for map). Like you, I hope we will have a good BB built-in map soon.

Cheers,

tom

--tom
Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

They did provide a demo for MapView.  Its just extremely basic, and has a fondness for the region around Albany, NY.

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Samples/tree/master/mapview

This one works, but it starts at an unusable zoom level (you have to zoom out a bit) and is a tad quirky on the map loading.  Also, apparently anything using MapView won't shut down correctly and you'll get that "application was slayed" message from the homescreen.

I didn't have any luck getting the other map samples working, since they seem to depend on invoking things we don't have.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tommy20

I've played with this sample app already. It is very basic and we can't add any more features. That was why I wrote this post...
--tom
Please use plain text.
Developer
kanaksony
My Device: BB 10 Dev Alpha

Hi all,

I am also looking for some good way to Show Maps. Meanwhile, currently, I am using google maps to show address of a location.

Regards,
Kanak Sony
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://dodevelopnshare.wordpress.com/ | http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=188131481&trk=tab_pro
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF
My Device: Bold 9780, DevAlpha
My Carrier: Vodafone CZ

At this moment maps.google.com unavailable to use on BB 10
Please use plain text.