Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
Anzy
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Difference between C/C++ Native Development & C++ QT Cascades Development

Whats the difference betwwen C/C++ Native Development & C++ QT Cascades Development .

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Difference between C/C++ Native Development & C++ QT Cascades Development

With basic native development you have to "roll your own" user interface.

With Cascades you get the Cascades UI framework, and all the parts of Qt except QtGui.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I assume you're referring to the SDKs shown on this page:

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/platforms/bb10

The C/C++ Native Development Kit is everything you need to code a native C/C++ application to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook and upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices. The APIs it describes should give you everything you need to develop all of the components of your application, from the ground up. If you have an existing application, you can likely start here. This SDK is great for access to low-level APIs.

However, it does not come with an UI toolkit. You literally have to code everything yourself, or port existing libraries over to help you. You probably don't want to do that. Instead, you can look at the C++/Qt Cascades Development kit. This SDK provides you with everything you need to develop an application for the upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices. You can still access all of the low-level APIs should you need them, but because Qt adds so much and is so powerful, most everything you need is likely already there.

Basically, Qt will provide you with APIs to call and use in your application. These are open-source libraries that have been reviewed over many years, and will likely accomplish everything you need. Going forward, Cascades is the UI toolkit of choice in native development, as it provides easy, fluid, and astonishing UIs for implementation in your app. 

Note that I never mentioned the PlayBook when discussing the C++/Qt Cascades kit. The PlayBook does not have native support for this mode of development, but it will come with BlackBerry 10 is released later this year.

Basically, the C/C++ Native Development Kit provides you with the nuts and bolts you need to develop an app from scratch. But why would you, when the C++/Qt Cascades Development kit includes many libraries for things you likely want to do.

Unless you're developing a game, porting some library, or need to develop for the PlayBook today, using the C++/Qt Cascades development kit. 

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
Developer
blackqtcoder
My Device: PlayBook & STL100-1 LE Z10 & Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Telefonica Spain

Native development = low level API = hard coding

Qt / Cascades development = high level API = easier coding

---------------------------------------------------------------
Leandro Cerdan - Duantox Apps
BlackBerry Elite dev
TapyHold, Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ewalker3
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

the previous reply is confusion.

He seems to say use the C++ /qt sdk for playbook but then the playbook doesn't support it?

I am looking to try and develop a small app on the playbook and this is confusing

Please use plain text.