Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
hamlatzis
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Cosmote

Different resolutions

I have two games accepted for PlayBook. I was asked to make them compatible with BB10 dev alpha as there was a problem and they didn't start on the new platform.

I've fixed the problem and resubmitted them. Now I'm informed my games cannot be accepted for BB10 as the games look stretched. As the PlayBook and the BB10 devices have different resolutions it's obvious there is going to be some stretching.

If I don't stretch the images at all or if I stretch them maintaining their aspect ratio then the games will not occupy the whole screen on the higher resolutions and again the games will be rejected.

My graphic designer created the graphics for the PlayBook resolution.

How does one overcome this problem as creating new images is not an option (too expensive)?

Please use plain text.
Developer
MikePembo951
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Re: Different resolutions

imo probably going to have to recreate new images.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dishooom
My Device: Blackberry 9810
My Carrier: Verizon

I too feel the same... u may have to recreate the images.

But a less expensive solution may be to not recreate all of them.. but just the backgrounds.

Resize the game screen background images , as any unused black space in a screen looks pretty awkward.

You can shrink down the resolution of most of the game objects (without altering the scaling factor) of the images.

However, if u have used an absolute layout or something of that sort in your code, you may need to make slight tweaks in it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hamlatzis
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Cosmote

Using new images with different sizes will not be a problem as I'm using external configuration files. The problem is just financial. I write games and applications for different mobile platforms as a hobby so I'll have to pay again my graphics designer out of my pocket money, as I don't know Photoshop that well.

Finally the game will not be BB10 compatible it will just be BB10, I'll need to maintain two games eg RoyalReels and RoyalReels HD and the same problem will be for all future games as not all BlackBerry devices invluding PlayBook have or will have the same resolution. They don't even have the same aspect so that shrinking and/or stretching can happen programmatically.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

The resolution shift is only about 20%.. you should be able to just load the existing artwork up in photoshop or similar, and do some sort of smooth resize.  I don't believe this would require a graphics designer's touch to achieve.. although, your original designer may already have the artwork in a larger resolution already anyways.

Please use plain text.