Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
coolthumbs
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Do you develop for BBOS10 (NDK and simulators) on a laptop? What kind are you using?

My desktop died recently and I`ll be replacing it with a laptop.  I`m curious if anyone is using a laptop to develop for BlackBerry 10 with the NDK and simulators.  I know the specs the laptops are supposed to have, but I don`t have a lot of time and don`t want to wind up buying something I`ll have issues with.

Thanks for any responses.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Do you develop for BBOS10 (NDK and simulators) on a laptop? What kind are you using?

On the road I use an old Dell Latitude XT2 (Core2 duo 1.4ghz, 3GB RAM). Not the fastest, but fine for use at conferences etc, and once Eclipse and VMWare have booted up it works quite well. Now if only the simulator would work properly with the touchscreen... It registers touches but translates the coordinates incorrectly.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: Do you develop for BBOS10 (NDK and simulators) on a laptop? What kind are you using?

MacBook Pro works very well. You'll have to purchase VMWare Fusion to play with Simulator though.

Please use plain text.
Developer
guignards
My Device: Bold 9780 + 32GB Playbook, Dev Alpha B & C
My Carrier: Telus

I do all my developing on a Acer Aspire TimelineX 

Works well. Rarely lags. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bdaemon
My Device: dev alpha playbook 9500 8300
My Carrier: uc

X220i 

Cpu :  i3

graphic: HD3000

memory : 4G

Hard dirver: SSD

the big problem for me :

the height of the  simulator   is 1280 in portrait mode,  too big for the laptop screen.

so have to rotation like this.

bg.png

Please use plain text.
Developer
guignards
My Device: Bold 9780 + 32GB Playbook, Dev Alpha B & C
My Carrier: Telus

Have you tried resizing it using the controller in the Simulator install files? 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bdaemon

thanks

how to config?

I setup the display to 1024*768, but can't launch.

b2.png

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

You can change the resolution of the simulator using the instructions below.  If you change the settings via VMWare it may not boot properly.  

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/simulator/simulator_configuring.html

Since Beta 2 we have set the default resolution of the simulator to be 70% of the origional size which should fit on most screens.  

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bdaemon

hi, daryl_martin

so great, thanks.

bc.png

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

[ Edited ]

For NDK any good config will do the job, but for simulator CPU and GPU are most important. CPU must support Virtualization (Intel vt-x or vt-d preferred, AMD don't even think about it!) and GPU must have good OpenGL support. Personally, neither ATI not nVidia work good. Surprisingly, old integrated Intel HD4500 with latest drivers worked like a charm.

Please use plain text.