Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
Accepted Solution

Does BB10 implements some kind of time coalescence techniques?

Hello there,

With iOS 7, Apple did some nice improvements on resource usage. Here's some more techinical info about it. Also non technical here.

I was wondering if BB10 - or QNX Neutrino OS - implements something similar.

If yes, can anyone explain it a bit further or point me on the right direction?

If no, could anyone explain or especulate why not?

I couldn't find anything on Google. I don't know the right keywords for this topic.

Cheers!
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Does BB10 implements some kind of time coalescence techniques?

[ Edited ]

You've got to remember that apple has their own proprietary OS while QNX is based on the time tested UNIX.

As UNIX was first developed to run on mainframes and distributed processors it was built for threading and multiple cores.

So in some respects Apple is still catching up on that.

On the speculative loading this is not yet built in to the OS but of course easy enough for a developer to do within their own app preloading/caching resources.

Also it would be a minor change to the invocation framework to give the developer a way to speculatively load apps that they will be invoking. Hopefully we will see something like this in future releases. 

Perhaps we will see speculative loading of Apps built in to the OS at some date but I wouldn't think this is a high priority for BlackBerry. There are more urgent OS changes that need to go in first.

... and as ARM processors get more faster and more cores the advantages will be minimal at best.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
billbsb

Hi BBSJdev,

Interesting points. Indeed, iOS is much younger than UNIX/QNX and yeah, most probably it still has a lot to catch up. But the other way around is also true, no? Could UNIX/QNX learn a few new tricks from a new more modern contender? I think so.

I'm hoping that with the introduction of Long Running Headless Apps on OS 10.2.1, BlackBerry will have come up with some nice solutions for resource management and provide us with even nicer documentation and examples on how to best use it. :Rolleyes:

QNX has some kind of limitation regarding ARM specific hardware?! That sound pretty bad.

Cheers!
Developer
BBSJdev

Oh absolutely, Apple has many innovations that can come the other way, speculative app loading being but one.

I'm not sure where you got the limitation bit from but there should be no limitations specific to running QNX on ARM cores. Having said that though Apple has the advantage here as they have an architecture license with ARM and so are uniquely positioned to tweak both software and hardware at the same time to get the maximum out of the system.

BlackBerry have no such partnership and so the OS will always be a slight step behind on the use of the latest technology whether that be core innovations or subsystems such as graphics. Just look at Apple's introduction of the 64 bit instruction set and you can see the advantage they have to get things out early and optimised.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
billbsb

Ah, OK. Now I get your point. Thanks!

But my main question still remains unanswered. If anyone comes up with more info, please share it.

Cheers!
Developer
BBSJdev

I thought I had. :smileyhappy:

Part of the problem is that the two links you gave are actually talking about different things.

So no the BlackBerry OS does not have these but,

Link 1) App speculative loading could be something they look at in the future.

Link 2) Resource management could be implemented as a trigger in the future.