Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10 Limited Edition
My Carrier: Ukraine GSM
Accepted Solution

Dynamic permissions

Hi there!

I wonder if it is possible to ask user for permission when running the app? For example my app does not need camera access in most situations, but if you go to settings, and enable the checkbox, you can use flash light. Some people won't even understand, when installing the app, why does it need camera access, I don't want to confuse them.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Dynamic permissions

It's a great idea, and we've been requesting it for over a year. It's on the feature request list. You can search the Developer Issue Tracker if you want to find it and vote.

Unfortunately you can't do it yet, so the best you can do is detect that permissions have not been granted (usually by catching some error situation) and then inform the user. You can offer to open the App Permissions page of the system Settings app, and then they can change it and restart your app. It's ugly and awkward and a bad user experience, but that's the best you can do for now.

You might also describe in the app description why various permissions are required, though that will help only a small percentage of users who'd actually read and remember everything.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Reliance

Re: Dynamic permissions

Even i was thinking about it .