Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
cippyboy
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: Simulator

ETC1 texture compression on Simulator ?

[ Edited ]

I have an app that uses only ETC1 compressed textures. The problem is that I don't have a BlackBerry 10 device, so I perform all my testing & debugging using the simulator, which works very well for non compressed textures. I'm getting 60 FPS with other apps (and I can't say this about Android and OpenGL ES 2 where I have like 2 FPS with the x86 emulator ) and I assume that is because it forwards all OpenGL commands to my GPU which is very powerful (HD7850). Now, the thing is that the Blackberry devices use ETC1 or PVR texture compression which is not available on my desktop GPU. It would be nice if the simulator would do an "on the fly" decompression into RGBA so I can have an accurate testing environment rather than just tell me that it has no texture compression extensions.

Now I'm a bit afraid to submit my app as I don't know how it will perform and I could only test by doing the decompression myself, but that's a lot of extra code and... well, it would've been nice if the Virtual Machine would do it for me. Any roadmaps for this ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/relativegames - My Apps
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
psapra
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: N/A

Re: ETC1 texture compression on Simulator ?

From what I know the simulator supports both PVRTC and ATC texture compression.   I will check with our simulator team to confirm whether ETC is supported or whether there are plans to support it in the future.  Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra
Please use plain text.
New Developer
cippyboy

Any follow-up on this ?
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
psapra
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the late response.   I have followed-up on this internally and Daryl from our sim team will be responding soon. 

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

The latest 10.1 Gold simulator supports texture compression for both ETC1 and PVR.  We put a fair bit of work into unifying the texture compression so you can use the simulator for verification for both types, without the need to buy multiple devices.  :smileyhappy:

This is all done in software and should be transperent to you. 

Have you tried the latest simulator? 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
cippyboy

And where can I download that ?

I downloaded the latest version, which was BB10_1_X.1720 and I still don't see the ETC1 GL extension nor does it work (crashes when I call glCompressedTexImage2D )

Please use plain text.