02-18-2013 08:38 PM
My app needs the geolocation of the user in latitude, longitude. It doesn't need to be precise, city level precision will do. But it needs to be right.
The possible solutions in mind are-
1. Insert a database of country,city,latitude,longitude in the app. The user will choose the location from the drop down list.
Pros: Offline location selection. Doesn't need to use GPS.
Cons: list of all cities will be relatively large database which will significantly increase the size of the app.
2. Use a location server or API (typically based on IP location) to determine the location of the user.
Cons: User needs to be connected online. The percentage of accuracy is lower.
3. Using GPS in device.
Pros: Very precise.
Cons: Will take long time to get the GPS location. Will not work indoor.
My questions are-
1. Is there any API for "last location" or "latest location" of the device which will output the last/latest location in latitude/longitude?
2. Is there any accessible native list of countries and cities in the device?
3. What is the efficient and user friendly way to find the (not so precise,but right) location of the device?
02-18-2013 08:50 PM