Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Examples of using BlackBerry Push Notifications Service

Hello,

I am looking into using the BlackBerry push service for the first time. Have any of you used the service to date and/or are planning to use the service in your BlackBerry 10 applications? If so, what is your use case? What should a n00b understand before making mistakes that would annoy end-users with excessive notifications or rack-up very high server costs?

Thoughts on managing subscribers for consumer-facing app?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

Re: Examples of using BlackBerry Push Notifications Service

Hey there,

I'm planning to implement push notifications in at least one of my apps. Remember that you need to register an account with RIM to use the service, and this takes a few business days, even to get the evaluation account.

Second, for managing users, I would recommend something like Urban Airship. I've used it for Android apps, and it works just as cleanly on BB10. Highly recommended.

For use cases, you'll have to think about how it would apply best for your app. In my case, I'm planning to push updated results to users so that they don't have to open the app to get updated data. Bear in mind, push can only accomodate a certain payload size, so don't expect to be able to push more than 10kb of data.

Hope that helps.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
Developer
contryboy
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha

Hi HorizonXP,

Have you tried that in DevAlpha? Does push works in DevAlpha?

Thanks,
Dong
Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

I haven't had a chance yet, and I won't until later this week. By then, we'll have the new SDK update, so I may as well wait until then.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
Developer
contryboy
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha

I see. I will also give it a try recently. I just applied for a evaluation account. I will also update this thread if I have any progress on DevAlpha.
Please use plain text.