Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
LMcRae
My Device: Not Specified

Export for beta testing

Hi,

I'm at the point where I want to beta test my game.  I have a Z10 and have been developing on it without any real problems.  When I go through the process of exporting a release build from the IDE (File->Export->BlackBerry->Release Build), It all seems to go fine at this point.  Then I upload it to my website/sever.  Next I download it from my Z10 using the browser.  Finally I click on the downloaded bar file to install and it says it's not a valid bar file.

The only thing that seemed somewhat odd was that on the Z10, there was an icon of TXT beside the file.  So I wondered if it was uploaded in ascii instead of binary.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't since I used a command line ftp to make sure binary was on.  I also used my local wamp server with no luck.

Any ideas?  Is there some error logs someplace?  Can this even be done with BB10 or can you only release on App World?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Export for beta testing

The only approved method is through BlackBerry/App World. Though there are other ways that work.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Tomz_Jack
My Device: BB 10
My Carrier: Developer

after export release build, you will get .bar file..
right click .bar --> blackberry tools --> install...

that's just for test .bar... and you will get the problem in console...
Please use plain text.
Developer
LMcRae
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks but that is only for dev mode builds I believe.  After searching more on this forum, I believe I am asking why the OTA install isn't working AKA side loading.  It's been awhile since I have done a release :smileyhappy:

Off to look for a method through App World...

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Signed .bar file (Release) also can be uploaded to device via 

right click .bar --> blackberry tools --> install...

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
rmadhavan
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: BELL

For command line side loading of the signed release builds please follow the instructions here (last step shows how to deploy):

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/bb10/qt_package_deploy.html

For beta testing your application through the BlackBerry World, please find the instructions in the "Live/Production Testing" part of this blog post:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/01/blackberry-payment-services-sandbox/

hope it helps, Ram

Please use plain text.