Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
unarmed_man
My Device: Playbook

GamePlay not working in the Simulator

I can't get the GamePlay samples running in the simulator.  When I try, I just get the gray background with the black Blackberry logo for a few seconds then they close.  They work fine on the Playbook though.  Also, all the other samples work in the simulator.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtokarchuk
My Device: PlayBook 16g

Re: GamePlay not working in the Simulator

I would look in the VMWare settings, and see if it's either:

a) allowed to use your computer's GPU

b) Has enough memory available to use it.

(Edit VM - Display - Place a check in the box labeled "Accelerate 3D graphics" to use the 3D  acceleration of your computer in the virtual machine.)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
unarmed_man

good ideas!  but it didn't help.

I notice in the IDE console, it shows: screen_create_window_buffers: Not supported

when I try running it.

I tried setting verbose mode in the Run As popup under debugger.  

Is there some way to have some log info output from the program to find out what's happening?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtokarchuk
My Device: PlayBook 16g

I found this in these forums, not sure if it's still current:

For those reading this or stuck, I got some answers from RIM on this. Couple of points: a) The window architecture is a fixed three layer architecture. e.g. an application window -> child window -> embedded window b) When you attach the mmrenderer it creates its own child window in the application window. So you do not need t a child window to render into, nor in the video example, does the video render to the application window, it renders to a child window in the application window. c) To get the child window the video renders into listen for the screen event 'SCREEN_EVENT_CREATE'. At which point you can then tweak the window if you like.
So my understanding, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, is that you should not put video into a child window, nor should you put child windows into child windows.
For the color format use RGBA.              

Cited from solution @: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/Graphics-Stack-and-Screen-Windows/m-p/1394...

Please use plain text.
Developer
MasterOfBinary
My Device: PB 32

I have the same problem. When I run any of the samples I get the gray blackberry screen for about a minute or more, and then it closes. But the default OpenGL 2 project runs fine.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
unarmed_man

It was a bug in the samples.  It's now fixed!

See: https://github.com/blackberry/GamePlay/issues/107

Please use plain text.