Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790, Playbook 32GB and Torch 9800
My Carrier: Tbaytel

Getting started.

Hey Guys,

Im sure these questions have been asked a million times but what could one more hurt Smiley Tongue. So I am looking to get into app development and more specifically bring my app to Blackberry via native. I am really really new when it comes to learning code so this will be a challenge and a process for me. I have started learning HTML as my first code language but wasn't sure if that is how Native Blackberry apps are written. Is there a better language to learn as your first or is HTML the way to go since everything seems to be shifting to HTML5. What kind of programs do you use to edit your applications before you start the testing process. Is there any you would recommend or any you trust more then others. I started with tiggzi but found the service to be spotty. Direction on where to look for App development for rookies would be greatly appreciated. Any general tips are always welcome.

MC Creations

My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Getting started.

HTML5 is a completly legit approach for BB10 (and other platforms).
You may need some native skills if your application needs a native extension or you have some performance tasks that run better in a non-interpreted language.

if you want to start with native development i would suggest to work through the basics of a c/c++ tutorial, then take sample applications and modify them until you understand what they do.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790, Playbook 32GB and Torch 9800
My Carrier: Tbaytel

Re: Getting started.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there an editing program you would recommend or would downloading what Blackberry provides along with doing c/c++ and HTML tutorials online be the best option?

I have an app designed on paper and and idea of how I would like it to work in terms of punctuality but I'm at the starting point and not really sure of the direction I should take.

Thanks, again.