Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

bbj
Contributor
bbj
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Various

Gold SDK Cascades IDE build environment issues

The IDE for new Gold SDK for Cascades has changed the build environment so it no longer works!.

It now seems that the project .pro file includes an auto generated config.pri file.

The auto generated config.pri seems to think that any C/C++ source file anywhere on the hard disk of your machine thats vaguely near the project folder must be part of your project and simply decides add it to your project. as a file to build.  (via the SOURCES+= statment in the config.pri).

Whilst this may well work for novices, or perhaps small isolated projects, almost any code base of any significant size does not work like that. 

Momentics has the ability to 'exclude from build' however selecting that on per file basis simply does not work, the auto generated config.pri ignores that complelely.

In prior SDK releses at least we could manually list the source files + include paths etc in the project.pro file using the

SOURCES += file1

Unfortunately the config.pri plan also has the SOURCES+= statements which includes all the unwanted src code as well.

So how as we supposed to define the list of files which belong to the app to build ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C
My Carrier: Telenor, Mobitel

Re: Gold SDK Cascades IDE build environment issues

Did you update your SDK to Gold, or uninstall old and install Gold as new?

Many developer reports problems after update, i don't have any problems with Gold, and i uninstall beta 4 and then installed Gold. I use it very much, and i don't have any crash so far, it is much better than beta 4.

Please use plain text.
bbj
Contributor
bbj
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Various

Erm... problem is not really with uninstall + reinstall. The IDE runs. The problem is that the IDE has changed how you define what files it should include in a project.

E.g. we have a folder, extracted from version control, that contains say 10 files because they are all related. Of those 10 files a specific appplication may only need to use say 5 files.

Previously you could specify those 5 files - i.e. not use *.cpp but define the individual files in the project.pro file.

(Eclipse/Momnetics has an 'exclude from build' property for files - but that has never worked for BB10 - you need to use the pro file)

This has changed. The IDE now decides that every single c/c++ source file in any folder in your src heirarchy must be part of your project - because it autogenerates the config.pri file that lists those files. .

We need to be able to specify the files to include in a project, The projects wont build otherwise. The config.pri is trying to include source modules that have nothing to do with a specific project simply on the basis they exist on your hard disk..

Please use plain text.
Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C
My Carrier: Telenor, Mobitel

Aha, i understand now, i did not notice that. Best luck with finding solution for your problem :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
vencedor
My Device: Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: ??

I was using Beta 3. I uninstalled it before I installed the Gold version. I have similar issues as above with .pro project file. I also can't make this code work: qmlRegisterType<QTimer> ("my.library", 1, 0, "QTimer"); on the Gold version. I maybe missing some libraries, but Qt Core is already included. I am still exploring the new IDE, hopefully I can get acquainted with it without so much troubles.

If you find my post helpful, please click like :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.