Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
gRoberts
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

HID access via USB?

Hi all,

I've created a program in Windows that communicates with a USB device via HID.

Whilst looking around the SDK/NDK etc, I noticed there is the io-hid and other "hid" related files.

Now I know that officially HID access is only accessible on Android 3.0+ although I'm hoping that QNX/Blackberry have some how managed to get around that?

All I need to do is read/write to the USB device via the HID driver. Is this possible?

Thanks

Gavin

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HID access via USB?

I'm not entirely sure. It probably does, but no one has gotten around to it "truly" yet. The one thing, you may have seen this: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/12/blackberry-playbook-arduino/

I became curious about a week ago and asked about the source code for it, MSohm responded that they were just starting testing right now and would let us know when the source would actually be posted up. So it might just need some time before an example is posted for you to look at (though it isn't exactly a HID device).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gRoberts
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Looking at the native code, we could possibly connect to a hid device but there isn't any suggestions as to how you read/write to the device.

Whilst I can work my way around most languages, low level c/c++ is a new one.

I too saw that link but reading into it, it uses the accessory profile which I assume isn't HID and would require the device to read/write in the same protocol. Unfortunately the device I'm using, I don't have that open :/

Thanks for pointing it out :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Well it could be a starting point.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.