Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
davidcummings
My Device: Bold 9800

Having trouble booting the simulator?

We've had a few reports of people not being able to boot the simulator. If you are experiencing this issue could you please provide:

• The version of the simulator you are trying to run
  • The version of vmware you are running
  • The corresponding vmware.log, which should be in the same directory as the VMX file.
  • Host hardware information from your OS:
    • Windows: Run the dxdiag progam (from Start->Run), save the output as a text file
    • OSX: Run System Profiler (click Apple in upper left, About This Mac, More Info...) Save information to a text file
    • Linux: From command line run glxinfo (may need to install this tool) and lspci, pipe output from both tools into a text file
Please use plain text.
Developer
wwwillem
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: none

Re: Having trouble booting the simulator?

hi David,

I suppose you know about this thread that's going on already for a long time. And 5 pages full of problems.... :-)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/I-have-a-problem-with-the-playboo...

In my case, I've a working 1.0.1 Emulator on OSX and everything after that (1.0.8, 2.0.0) failed because of the graphics card support. I tried Windows XP, OSX Snow Leopard and CentOS Linux. No luck with either of them.

The details about my setups were posted in the other thread.

Willem

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mik4rim
My Device: none
My Carrier: virgin

Hello,

not sure this thread is still alive.

I can't manage to run the simulator 2.0.0-7109-Linux in my ubuntu 11.10 host machine.

Version of VMWare: 4.0.2 build-591240

vmware.log file tells me:

"Error VIX_E_TOOLS_NOT_RUNNING in VMAutomationTranslateGuestRpcError(): VMware Tools are not running in the guest", but from the guest virtual machine is not possible to download these tools (the option is not selectable).

Is it not possible to include vmware tools in the image of the simulator?

Other distro images provide the tools in it.

Any idea?

Mik

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

VMWare tends to have a problem with open source drivers on LInux, would you be able to confirm if you have the binary drivers that were released by your manufacturer?  Others have had problems with VMware not being able to detect a 3D card when using the open source drivers provided by Linux.

Can you try that out and let me know if it works?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

@wwwillem

I am trying to track down a laptop with a Intel Q965/Q963 graphics card to reporduce this so hopefully IT can find me a laptop with the same graphics chip.  The root of the problem is that VMWare does not support your video card, not sure if it's due to bad drivers or not.

The next release of the simulator will contain a software fallback which will allow you to boot up on this graphics chip, all the work is completed and tested. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mik4rim

Hello daryl_martin,

first of all thanks for your prompt interest and response.

I've just installed the package

nvidia-current

but didn't seem to solve the problem.

I run Ubuntu 11.10 on a DELL Latitude E6400 laptop if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
wwwillem
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: none

@ daryl

That 965/963 chipset is not on a laptop, but it's the motherboard graphics on a Lenovo ThinkCenter desktop PC.

Willem

Please use plain text.
Visitor
wynalazca
My Device: developer
My Carrier: Verizon

Simulator version: 2.0.0-7109

VMware Player version: 4.0.2-591240

vmware log file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2371495/vmware.log

dxdiag: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2371495/DxDiag.txt

I'm having the same issue from the other thread you were posting in where the emulator was locking up at [ Starting screen]. I noticed they were mostly saying the issue is with using the graphics chip on a motherboard instead of having a graphics card and also that there was an error in the vmware.log file where it tries to load D3D9_40.dll and that's missing. I've updated DirectX to the latest version and my log files no longer show the error on the dll file (and I've confirmed the file's existence), but after looking through DxDiag I see that D3D9 is not supported by my graphics chip. Do you think this is the issue that's causing the VM to not load?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mik4rim

@RIM people...

guys, - I could be insulted for this! - but since many problems are appearing with the simulator on VMWare...

is it worth to give a try to VirtualBox from SUN, which is even FREE?

I am using that under Ubuntu, I did use it under various flavours of Windows... and never had any problem.

Just my 2 pence worth comment.

Mik

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jgrzadka
My Device: paybook
My Carrier: rogers

I can't load the simulator because the screen won't go past  "sh: /base/scripts/startup.sh: No such file or directory". 

Screen displays:

QNX v1.2b Boot Loader: vmware.ifs . 

Unable to access /dev/hd0

nvram resmgr: Problem parsing location for rimboot [-b option]. check that the path and offset are valid (see use message)

Unable to access /dev/nvram 

open(/dev/nvram) failed: No such file or directory

Mount: Can't mount /base (type qnx6)

Mount: possible reason: Invalid argument

sh: /base/scripts/startup.sh: No such file or directory

I am using:

VMware-player-4.0.2-591240.exe

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-2.0.0-7109-Win-201201041944.exe

DxDiag.txt

vmware.log

Note:  The first time around, after rebooting, I was able to reach the "starting screen" line and it hung there.  Now I can't even load the startup file even though I didn't change any settings.  I tried closing and reopening vmware but it didn't help.  Any light on this issue would be greately appreciated.

Please use plain text.