Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
jgrzadka
My Device: paybook
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Having trouble booting the simulator?

Udate to my previous post:

I canged the BIOS settings (Hit F2 on vmware load screen) and disabled the floppy drive to solve my earlier issue.  Now I can get to the "loading screen" line and it hangs there.

I am using:

VMware-player-4.0.2-591240.exe

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-2.0.0-7109-Win-201201041944.exe

DxDiag.txt

vmware1.log (update file)

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Safe mode is now available as a boot option on the latest simulator posted at http://developer.blackberry.com/native.  When booting the simulator please select the safe boot option and it will load the software fallback instead of the hardware driver. 

Please let me know if you run into any problems with this fallback. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shadowgolf
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Using safe mode I get past the starting screen message but now get stuck on the playbook splash screen. Yesterday I went out and left it for a couple of hours and when I came back it was still stuck. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pwstegman
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Is there a way to get a copy of an ISO file of the simulator version 2.0 so I can install it in VirtualBox?  My computer can't run the latest version of vmware player, and I wish to avoid paying $200 for Workstation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pwstegman
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

I ended up getting an older version of the simulator to run on an older version of vmware on my computer.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottj3
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

I am able to get the simulator booted by choosing the safe mode option.  Does safe mode inhibit any functionality of the simulator?  I have been unable to get the Playbook browser to connect to the Internet and have tried a number of combinations of virtual machine and VMware player netowrk settings.  I am behind a proxy and I see others are reporting similar issues.  I just wanted to make sure Safe mode is not in some way hindering this before troubleshooting further.

Please use plain text.
daryl_martin

The safe mode option will only impact the graphics driver by forcing it to use a software implementation vs a HW Accelerated version.  This will not impact networking or browser. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottj3

Thanks for the quick reply.  I must be experiencing the proxy issue that others are reporting then.  I don't think i have seen a resolution to that.

Do you happen to know, even if I can get around the proxy issue will the simulator allow for testing connecting to an Exchange server via ActiveSync? 

Please use plain text.
daryl_martin

Are you refering to a corporate proxy or something else?   As of right now, the simultor does not support ActiveSync so you will not be able to connect to an Exchange server. 

Daryl

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottj3

Corporate proxy.  Looking at other posts on the issue I have tried tweaking some of the VMware network settings (Ctrl-P in VMware Player), and also changing network options of the Playbook virtual machine (Use Host Settings, NAT, etc.).  No matter what combination I choose I can't seem to get the Playbook browser to open up a web page.  Clicking on Development Mode I see a valid IP assigned to the simulator, but just can't seem to get out to the Internet.

Thanks on the ActiveSync info.  That was going to be one of our main objectives with the simulator so I guess we can put that one to rest early. 

Please use plain text.