If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
AdrianQuartx
My Device: Z10

[Headless Apps] Will there ever be a timed trigger?

I just started BB Development, with all the hype about headless apps, there still isn't any trigger for things like scheduled tasks?

An alarm clock app would need a time trigger to activate the alarm , a push notifications server would be too overkill, a long running , non triggered app which constantly queries for the current time would be a battery killer.

By default headless apps run for 20 seconds, what if background processing is needed once headless app is trigger? Is there any way to increase the avaliable running time?

Any samples to a simple timed background task without using push services would be very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: [Headless Apps] Will there ever be a timed trigger?

AdrianQuartx wrote:
An alarm clock app would need a time trigger to activate the alarm , a push notifications server would be too overkill, a long running , non triggered app which constantly queries for the current time would be a battery killer.

Some comments:

1. There's almost certainly a timed-invocation mechanism built in already, and used by the alarm clock. No idea why it hasn't been exposed to us yet other than that they're probably still collecting use cases and trying to decide if it's justified.

2. There is NO reason to think that any app which mostly spends its time waiting would ever be a battery killer. In any modern OS, including BB10, there's always at least one way to wait with zero overhead, for some period of time.

For now, if you really need this capability, a long-running non-triggered headless app is the way to go, and it won't have to impact your battery at all, unless your wakeup intervals are extremely short.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
AdrianQuartx

Ive heard that the procedure to create a long running non triggered app requires a form submission? I afraid I cant afford to wait weeks for a reply, the app i am creating is in a state of urgency

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

If your requirements are that this be headless (no UI, runs in background at startup) and it's urgent, I suggest you submit the form immediately and see whether maybe they don't actually take too long to review them. Maybe tweet @blackberrydev with a reference after you've done it.

There are no other options for doing this right now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Carrier: Fido

peter9477 wrote:
If your requirements are that this be headless (no UI, runs in background at startup) and it's urgent, I suggest you submit the form immediately and see whether maybe they don't actually take too long to review them. Maybe tweet @blackberrydev with a reference after you've done it.

There are no other options for doing this right now.

this is ridiculous that devs have to get permissions to run headless apps.  The entire headless design and approach is so complicated and limited what you can do.  This needs to be simplier.

Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Telus

the simpler it is the more potential for abuse

I think they're keeping it so restriced now because they want to monitor how these intial apps affect performance/battery life and if they don't see any major issues they'll likely open it up more and make it slightly easier to integrate

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
PBernhardt
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Regardless of how fast you go through the approval process, headless apps require the 10.2 OS, which is not yet available to consumers.

And yes, we have this approval process to ensure that only developers that actually need it (and can't just use one of the existing triggers) gets access. A headless app running all the time can lead to a poor device experience, and the culprit can be non-obvious to the end user. More triggers will certainly be added in the future, further reducing the need for the headless permission.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.