Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Headless testing and inability to reboot

I've been testing a few headless apps I've been delevoping. I use the headless templet from the exampe in Momentics. For some reason, sometimes when I reboot after testing the phone goes to 100% and never reboots. I have to reload the OS software whenever this happens. Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I don't have signing permissions for them yet so I run it on the device in debug or release mode without packaging it into a bar. The apps aren't complicated at all and use the bb started trigger as it is in the example. They just hook up to a couple signals like battery changed etc.

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Re: Headless testing and inability to reboot

If you dont have the permission, your headless app will only run for 20 seconds from the time it gets triggered bu the STARTED trigger.

Re: the phone getting stuck at 100% during a reboot, I am not aware of any issues related to headless and have not seen it myself either. Are you able to reproduce it easily? What OS version are you running on the device?
Developer

I'm testing on 10.2.1.1925. My permission request hasn't come through yet so I'm testing in development mode as it is. The apps work fine while I test them, the problem only occurs once I have to reboot.

I'm hoping my permissions request comes through so I can test as a packaged bar and see if this removes any problems perhaps related to it testing in developement mode.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

using a leaked OS and asking for support seems a bit much :smileyhappy:
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

simon_hain wrote:

@simon_hain:  How else would one test headless app?  You have the official os10.2.1 LOL.

Developer

shaque wrote:
If you dont have the permission, your headless app will only run for 20 seconds from the time it gets triggered bu the STARTED trigger.

Re: the phone getting stuck at 100% during a reboot, I am not aware of any issues related to headless and have not seen it myself either. Are you able to reproduce it easily? What OS version are you running on the device?

I have many instances where my headless app does not restart on system Reset. Even my users have reported this problem.   So this problem exists. 

When debugging the headless app the entry point doesn't even get called not even the started trigger.

If you know why please share with us.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

smiley wrote:

simon_hain wrote:

@simon_hain:  How else would one test headless app?  You have the official os10.2.1 LOL.

I have to apologize, i did not see that long running headless now requires 10.2.1

If you don't have long running 10.2 should be fine, i guess.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

shaque wrote:

@shaque:  I'm unclear on the long running permission. Is this per app basis or once the developer is approved for long running they can develop any long running apps?

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Technically once you get the signing permission you can develop any long running apps. However, if you wish to publish your app on BB World, you must get each app individually approved.

Shadid
Developer

shaque wrote:
Technically once you get the signing permission you can develop any long running apps. However, if you wish to publish your app on BB World, you must get each app individually approved.

Shadid

cool thanks.

Can you please explain why sometimes my app is not being called during system Reset. Not even in the invoke or main entry point.   To get it started sometimes I need to reset the device multiple times.