Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
kamal_nigam
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Orange

How much Nokia QT experience help in Cascades Development

How much Nokia QT experience help in Cascades Development

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the Accept as solution Button when u got the Solution
Press Kudo to say thank to developer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: How much Nokia QT experience help in Cascades Development

[ Edited ]

Can you rephrase the question?  I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you are asking if experience using Qt helps, the answer is definitely, but it's not a pre-requisite for learning cascades.

Stuart

Please use plain text.
Developer
kamal_nigam

Yes i was asking the first part of your answer. But how much?? One more QML with Javascript or QML with QT which one is good.

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Please use plain text.
smacmartin

[ Edited ]

Take what experience you have.   Are you asking because you are hiring someone but don't know what employee you need? Or asking to get some idea of the what Cascades QML is like?  Or asking because you are not sure you are ready to try it?

If you are strong in Qt QML you will find QML natural, but there are differences.  If you are strong in Javascript, you will tend to do some event handling (onClick etc) in Javascript.  If you are strong in C++ and Qt, you will define some UI structure in QML augmented by C++ code, using signals and slots.

Have a look at https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/

Download the sample apps and look at cascadescookbookqml and cascadescookbookcpp, stampcollector, cowbell, and others.  This should give you a good feel to what skills you can exploit.

Stuart

Please use plain text.
Developer
kamal_nigam

No I am not hiring any one.  I was asking because I am going to start development in cascades.  I have gone through sample and document given at bb developer sites and nokia qt docs.  I have seen both the implementation (javascript & c++).  BB has given some wrapper on the original (compare with nokia QT/QML) so little bits confuse either go with the QML+Javascript &QML+C++.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
smacmartin

My preferred approach is to use QML for structure and basic behaviour, C++ for more delicate or custom UI, and (separate) C++ for data model and non-UI behaviour.  Others prefer to do all UI in QML.  It's really up to you where you divide your software, and depends a bit both on your app and on your own skills and preferences.

Stuart

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sanjeevtmimt
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: SE

I have a question...

QML is new language for me and I am going to start BB 10 development in cascades. Therefore How can I learn QML easily?? and is it neccessary to learn from nokia forum site (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/).

and if you want to prefer another one then go forward......

Please use plain text.
Developer
kamal_nigam

Just one more doubt here (instead to open new Thread). Is it possible to get update of the SDK & IDE by using eclipse updates because currently whenever new updates has come we have to download entire SDK again and install 

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Developer
kamal_nigam

@ sanjeevtmimt is this Question for me ??

Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Developer
sanjeevtmimt
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: SE

if you can help me then sure........

Please use plain text.