Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
PatrickMac
My Device: Z10

How to Telnet to Z10 / Access Logs and Files for Retail Display Mode?

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I'm new to BB and developing general. I've got what's probably a very basic question:

I am not able to telnet to my device. I keep getting the "Could not open connect to the host" error.

My device is a new z10 - and I'm trying to access logs / files for the retail demo display fuction to grab logs, etc.

Actually, if you'd be able to tell me how to access this info on QNX that would be even better.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks in advance.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: How to Telnet to Z10 / Access Logs and Files for Retail Display Mode?

I'm not sure what you mean about the "retail demo display", since it's unlikely any logs or other files associated with that are available through any means.

As for telnet, you can't. You can, however, use SSH, for a secure connection. You need to have the device in development mode, and install one of the SDKs on your PC, create a 4096-bit RSA2 private/public key pair, use the blackberry-connect tool to install the public key and open a connection (it must stay running to hold the connection open), and then use a regular SSH client to connect as the "devuser" account, using the corresponding private key.

You can also do this using Momentics, from the Native SDK.

You should be able to find lots of documentation and earlier threads covering all these things, now that I've summarized. :smileyhappy:

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
PatrickMac

Thank you for the quick reply.

Here's how you get into Retail Display Mode - you go into display settings and put the device into retail display mode. From here you can look at a demo of various BB features. I want to be able to change a few of these files and grab logs, but it seems I can't grant myself the necessary permissions in Momentics to see these files. 

Normally, the folder is in System/Accounts/1000/appdata...

it's called com.rim.bb.app.retailsdisplayshim... .etc. It's the first one.

Developer
peter9477

Yes, as I said, you won't be able to get into that folder. You would need root access, which you can't get with this approach.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
WhiteSpir1t

And how did you come to identify that file?  

How did you achieve root access?

Developer
peter9477

WhiteSpir1t, You don't need root access to see the name of a folder in a directory to which you already have access. Seeing the name is easy... it's the contents of that directory that you couldn't see without more access...