Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Re: How to add external library in NDK?

Calling toLocal8Bit:

toLocal8Bit

Calling toUff8 (this message didn't include attachment but it doesn't matter):

toUtf8()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Retired
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

[ Edited ]

The function fromHex that you're saying has a bug in it - only converts hexadecimal to bytes. Again, hexadecimal is 0-9,a-f, anything else is not valid hex.

Keys and IVs in the sample are using hex to make displaying and saving trivial. Base64 could have just as easilly been used.

There is nothing wrong with using the faster 8bit conversion when the function's behaviour only makes sense with hex.

However - if your local platform doesn't use latin1 as the local8 bit encoding, then toAscii or toLatin would be correct - but there's no reason to use a multibyte conversion function. What are your regional settings? What is your local8bit encoding of the letter 'f' ?  However - the fromHex and nibble functions record a failure that the input was not hex and a toasts shows you that... The encryption/decryption does not proceed.

The é in Montréal is UTF-8 encoded - it's there only to demonstrate that the sample is UTF-8 correct. Below is a screenshot of Japanese converted correctly. The code that works with plain and decrypted text is using utf8 conversions.

Thanks.

Japanese encrypted -> decrypted

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
Developer
soaman

[ Edited ]

I will re-check.

In my case my message is encrypted, packed into json file, emailed, read on the other device, json is parsed and finally the cipher is decrypted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
soaman

I can confirm that sample runs fine with Slovenian special characters.

It is email's blame that characters 0-9+a-f has been translated into different encoding. But if I use toUtf8 instead of toLocal8Bit, the message is read OK.

Retired
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

Cool!
--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.