Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: None - Playbook only.
My Carrier: None

Re: How to buid sign and deploy from the QtSDK

When using a debug token, you need to use <author> and <authorId> element.

The value of each has to be the same of the debug token or else the application will just close.

I'm guessing it's the reason because I don't see these xml element in your file.

Developer
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

Thanks Cedric! That definetly would have been a problem with my borrowed pb...

Cheers,

Jon

Contributor
My Carrier: verizon

Thanks Cedrik and Jon.

I'm restarting this thing with a new set of keys. The docs from RIM on how to sign applications offer many variations. It seems I neglected to register for a debug token indicating a csk password, and that seems to be a problem for signing apps.

It's does seems strange that I could run the HEC Geek helloworld app on my playbook with debug tokens, but could not with a simple GUI app created in QtCreator.

In a day or two I'll post back and let you know what works (and what doesn't) for me.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Sprint

OP: Did you build Qt for the Playbook using the github qt? Or did you just use the Qt port you mentioned? I thought that port didn't have all of the Qt components. I did see that RIM posted Qt binaries for 4.8 for the PB for Win and Linux. Too bad I run OSX.
Contributor

I am really stuck here. My Qt app builds, deploys correctly, but will not run on the PB. It starts, displays the splashscreen, then quits. The exact same app runs fine on my linux development machine.

Some details:

1. The HEC Geek helloworld Qt app works just fine, deployed with a debugToken. I have no <author> tag defined in the blackberry-tablet.xml file. Again, this app works.

2. My Qt app (very simple, done with Qt Creator) deploys to the playbook just fine. Does not run (runs and quits immediately). This is the same whether I sign the app or just deploy with the debug token. I know that the debugToken is ok, since I can run app #1 above.

I tried using the <author> tag in the blackberry-tablet.xml file. I'm not sure what "id" is supposed to be in the <authorId> tag so I'v omitted that. Again, app#1 runs, so I'm not convinced that's needed.

3. I downloaded the qt github tools for the playbook (armle-v7) and also the full Qt 4.8 tools from the nokia site for linux. This gives me QtDesigner and QtCreator, which I use often.

So I have two questions:

a. Is anyone else having problems with Qt apps just starting and quitting immediately after the splashscreen display? Any tips on how to debug this or read the log files (where they are, how to access)?

b. Where are the logs found for this (on the playbook) to indicate why an app is failing?

I checked around and it seems that one can  send the encrypted logs to Blackberry if you have a valid incident number. But how can I just read the logs off the PB. There does not appear to be an ssh server (sshd) running on the PB.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been stuck at this step for about a week now, and would like to get on with the business of getting my apps to run on the Playbook.

Thanks,

Jeff.

Contributor

BGmot:

You mentioned: "you should have somethng in log saying why it fails."

How to I access the logs (where?) on the PB.

There does not appear to be sshd running on the PB, and the only other option I see is to send the encrypted logs to RIM through the PB Help facility.

Jeff.

Contributor
My Device: None - Playbook only.
My Carrier: None

jsprenger: Follow this link to ssh into the playbook with devuser :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/How-to-use-blackberry-connect-to-Enabl...

Or you can also extract a log file of your app with blackberry-deploy, like this:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-SDK-for-BlackBerry-Tablet/How-to-Extract-Application-F...

**The log file of an app is under /1000/appdata/____full_name_of_the_app/logs/log

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Sprint

Did you copy the Qt libs into your app so they get deployed?
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Use search function on this forum and read carefully what you find.

Contributor

Cedrik,

I've accessed the logs using the blackberry-connect -getFile  (found out that you must use the debugToken or you will get access denied). Here's what the log says:

Failed to load platform plugin "blackberry". Available platforms are:

(and then nothing - just blank).

Here's how the .bar file is built (using make SomeMobileApp.bar):

blackberry-nativepackager -package SomeMobileApp.bar -arg -platform -arg blackberry 
    blackberry-tablet.xml SomeMobileApp -devMode -debugToken ~/debugToken.bar
    -e icon.png res/icon.png
    -e splashscreen.png res/splashscreen.png
    -e /home/jeff/playbookdev/Qt/stage/nto/armle-v7/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtCore.so.4 lib/libQtCore.so.4
    -e /home/jeff/playbookdev/Qt/stage/nto/armle-v7/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so.4 lib/libQtGui.so.4
    -e /home/jeff/playbookdev/Qt/stage/nto/armle-v7/usr/lib/qt4/plugins/platforms/libblackberry.so lib/platforms/libblackberry.so

Info: Package created: SomeMobileApp.bar