Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
dbigham
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
Accepted Solution

How to create a splash screen

Does anyone out there have a recipe for creating a splash screen in Cascades?

My first approach was to use a NavigationPane with a timer whereby the next page would be loaded automatically after a couple of seconds.

But that leads to there being a "Back" button on what should be the first screen.

My second approach was to simply hide the container holding the splash image and show the container holding the first screen, but now that I have an action bar at the bottom of the screen, that is showing when the splash screen is visible.

Ideally there would be a way to replace the "BlackBerry" loading screen with a custom image. Perhaps there is a way to do that.

Anyway, if others have figured out a good recipe for doing splash screens, I'm all ears,

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
AllSystemGo
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: How to create a splash screen

Isn't there an option in the bar-descriptor.xml on the Application tab on the right You can set your own splash screen Landscape and Portrait.

Hope it helps.

Developer
dbigham

That's a great call.

I gave it a shot but can't seem to get it to work. Found this:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/QNX

I have:

<asset path="splash.png">splash.png</asset>
    <asset path="assets">assets</asset>
    <!--  The splash screen that will appear when your application is launching. Should be 1024x600. -->
    <splashscreen>splash.png</splashscreen>

... but the BlackBerry spash screen continues to come up.

Interesting the comment about 1024x600, which is obviously a carry-over from the PlayBook.  I've tried both 1024x600 and 1280x768 without any luck.

Developer
dbigham

Ok, I've figured it out. As of now (July 2012) BB10 appears to only support portrait splash screens, and so if you specify a single splash screen (which is interpreted as the landscape splash screen) it gets ignored.

Here's my writeup of how to do it:

http://bb10dev.net/document.pl?mode=Display&DocumentID=935

BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer

[ Edited ]

dbigham wrote:

Ok, I've figured it out. As of now (July 2012) BB10 appears to only support portrait splash screens, and so if you specify a single splash screen (which is interpreted as the landscape splash screen) it gets ignored.

Have you tried specifying 2 splash screens?  One for portrait, one for landscape?  Should probably aim to futureproof your app for BB10 on PlayBook, right? 

Have you also tried forcing your app to start in landscape mode and see if the landscape splash screen is used in that case?

Developer
dbigham

Very good point, I didn't think to try that.  I've updated my instructions for the three cases:

- Portrait only app (my app)

- Landscape only app

- Portrait+landscape app