Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
fireball003
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

How to customize virtual keyboard?

Hi,

I am looking for a way to customize virtual keyboard. I want to customize keyboard location and shape, default key locations in the keyboard for some specific languages, keyboard layout, size of the keyboard etc. However the closest customization I have found from the API refernce manual is to set the name of the enter key and use different layout from a fixed set (link). Building a new keyboard from the scratch is not an option for me. And I want to use the cool features of the default keyboard (like pushing words from the keys...)

How can I customize the default virtual keyboard?

Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: How to customize virtual keyboard?

A big no no, you cannot mess with a BB user's keyboard! If you need a custom keyboard (let's say for in a game), than you'll need to start from scratch.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Trusted Contributor
fireball003
My Device: Playbook

:smileysad:
The BB keyboard is nice and everything, and it emphasizes on the idea of using it in one hand. However, there are lot of people who use the phone in the bed (up side down). In that situation it is impossible to reach to all the keys using thumb while holding in one hand.

While My personal observations (without extensive research) are-

!. If the keys would be arranged as right triangle (within the reach of the thumb), it would be perfect. For the landscape mode, the keyboard would look like a rectangle on the side user is holding the phone.

The dynamic positions of the key can be set using the values from the gyroscope. It is based on how the user is holding the phone.

2. As an user I would feel more comfortable if the keyboard could be dynamically personalized based on the frequency of keys usage. That is, the most used keys by a certain user will be underneath his/her thumb instead of static position of them.

Hope someone thinks about this issue.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Sounds like you should use Jira to file a "Feature Request". The link is at the bottom of any developer.blackberry.com page, under Issue Tracker.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
atodorov
My Device: Z10 STL100-1

It is in JIRA :smileyhappy: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-1497
--
http://atodorov.org