Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
insertrealname
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.1925 (BlackBerry Link for MS Windows)
Accepted Solution

How to download all current documentation referenced in Momentics Help for offline use?

I'm a complete neophyte in the Momentics IDE (never used Eclipse before), and I don't always have an Intenet connection.

Is downloading all the NDK documentation referenced in the Momentics IDE Help window and installing it locally a feasable idea? I can then set the Help preferences to include remote help but give local help priority.

At the moment, the Native SDK-Cascades UI documentation in particular seems to be an online-only resource in the Momentics Help application window.

I've searched in the developer forums and found no advice on this topic. I'm using the API level for the 10.2.0.1803 OS version on Windows.

I have a real name, therefore I exist.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Re: How to download all current documentation referenced in Momentics Help for offline use?

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forums.

AFAIK it's not available offline, you could use a website copier, may take some time to download though.

These are hit and miss in my experience due to permissions on the server folders, images, etc.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: How to download all current documentation referenced in Momentics Help for offline use?

As BBSJdev states, Native/Cascades documentation is web-only. Agreed that it would be very nice sometimes to have it available locally, but Cascades classes are changing constantly with OS upgrades, and even if you stick to a single SDK, there are lots of errors and omissions, so having all the docs online makes it easier to ensure you are looking at the latest-and-greatest version at all times.

One thing to be aware of that may not be obvious to new Cascades developers is that although there are some Cascades only classes, Cascades is basically just Qt with a few new features thrown in. In fact, much of the Cascades documentation is a word-for-word copy of the Nokia Qt docs for the same classes. You will also sometimes notice that sample code links in Cascades class documentation don't do anything when you click them, and the popup text for the link says something about those samples not being relevant for Cascades development. This is where the Qt docs were copied verbatim and then irrelevant links were massaged to avoid confusing new Cascades devs. That said, I often find those samples to be useful for teaching fundamental Qt/Cascades concepts, so I sometimes look up the original Qt documentation for Cascades classes and follow the links that BlackBerry has redacted.

The reason I mention the Qt origin of most of the Cascades online documentation is that there may be some downloadable version of the Qt specifications (I don't know, I haven't looked) which could be useful in a pinch. Just make sure you get them for the correct version of Qt (Cascades currently uses Qt 4.8) whereas Qt is now up beyond 5.0 (which is apparently coming to Cascades in the future).

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
insertrealname

[ Edited ]

Thanks both of you for such detailed replies, much appreciated. I will look at the Qt documentation--somewhat ironic that until this past December a Nokia N8-00, Symbian with the "Belle" Qt 4.8/QML graphic mobile OS extensions, was my only mobile phone, so I may end up installing the SDK for that device after all! (Nokia includes both the Nokia phone specific and the desktop build environments.)

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Similar conversation going on in this old Qt thread regarding offline documentation. Poster "Matt" has a couple of very interesting comments about full Qt documentation in HTML format being available on your local machine if you download a Qt development package. Although he talks about Qt 4.6 you might be able to do the same with the Qt 4.8 docs. Just be aware that although many of the classes are identical, not all are, and there are some Cascades classes that have no Qt equivalent (for instance Image, which is completely different than Qt QImage).

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
insertrealname

O.K., appreciate the help you have given me.
Please use plain text.