Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: How to get dynamic license key from Cascades

The worry about the 10k deadline is from submitting my app before the deadline then having to cancel it and resubmit to change the licensing option.

Something I've read is necessary, if you want to change the license, but of course may or may not be true. :smileyhappy:

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

BBSJdev wrote:

The worry about the 10k deadline is from submitting my app before the deadline then having to cancel it and resubmit to change the licensing option.

As for that, I would expect you could use the vendor support form on the vendor portal login page to request that they simply change your licensing option to X, because you've been told that the one selected is not supported for BB10. It would involve a new submission, nor would it affect your eligibility or the date of record for your submission...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
BBSJdev

Well I went ahead and submitted a bug fix release (without my code for dynamic license checking) and I didn't bother to request a license change as surely if there is no effect it doesn't matter, as you mentioned in your second post.

As others are, still waiting for the approval process to kick off but I assume they are just swamped, cutting it close though.

Peter, I am serious if you have a link to a document that mentions how the whole App World transaction stuff works from the point a user requests a download, with or without licensing, I'd really be interesting in reading it.

Thanks.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Forgive me if I'm forgetting stuff you've already said, but I'm juggling a lot of threads and don't recall specifics of each.

If you submitted prior to the Jan 11 deadline, for 10K, they said they *guarantee* you'll be approved (if the app is approvable) prior to the Jan 21 deadline for BFB submission. That implies at worst you'll need to check the vendor portal shortly before January 21, 2013 at 8:00pm EST to see if you can click on "Apply" under the BFB column under Manage Products.

As for such a document, sorry, I've seen no such thing. I'd have written it myself if the missing piece with respect to dynamic licensing had been filled in, but as my original questions in that other thread basically have gone unresolved it was still an open issue until you got clarification from Garett in the ticket.

As it stands now, I'm simply plugging ahead like everyone else, trusting faithfully that BB10's security will hold up sufficiently to protect us from the bulk of the piracy issue. If someone roots it and/or finds a way to start dumping .bar files into warez sites, I'm trusting that RIM will finish up the BB World beta/draft-mode improvements which we've sort of been led to believe will occur some day, at which point I'd expect them to disable sideloading in the consumer devices in some fashion which would again block piracy. At that point, although our IP could still be stolen by other developers, piracy would become difficult again since the apps would have to be distributed through BB World still, putting control back in RIM's hands.

Whether any of that matches reality or not... we'll know in a few months I guess.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
BBSJdev

OK, well thanks for your help.

I'm going to accept this summary post as the solution and close it up.

For those who have followed the same rabbit hole as me and have ended up here, basically there is no Dynamic Licensing for BB10 and an official reply on the subject can be found here...

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-429