Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
jkurtw
My Device: BB10 simulator
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

How to request review in my app?

Well, I just had some genius leave a 1 star review on my emoticons app complaining that it is just a bunch of images that you can attach to messages... not sure what this guy expected from an emoticons app...

I've used the "request review" approach on other platforms and it worked well to pull in reviews from people who like the app. Otherwise, it seems that only the angry people leave reviews.

Has anyone done this recently? I am guessing I just build in a dialog and point them to the BB World URL?

Any tips would be appreciated. Gratzi. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How to request review in my app?

Are you asking for suggestions on the user experience for such a feature (e.g. where to put a button, what text to use, etc) or on the implementation (how to link it to your app's entry in BB World)?

If the former, I've used the Help button in the standard app Menu (top-swipe) to show an about/help page, and at the bottom of that I have a Leave Review button. At the end of the help text, I have a request that users consider leaving a review to help others find the app too. No data yet on whether it helps. ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jkurtw

Thanks for the response... yeah I was more asking about implementation.

I just tried it on the simulator and it looks like pointing the browser to http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/20401503/ causes a diaglog to popup asking if you want to open appworld://content/20401503 with BlackBerry World.

So, invoking the brower with the URL could work - or I bet you can invoke BBW directly with the URL they show in the dialog.

As far as user experience goes, I plan to be more intrusive than your approach :smileyhappy: Create a file on disk the first time they open the app, then increment a number in it for each time the app is launched/used. Once that goes >5 I'll pop up a dialog that asks something to the effect of "Love this app? Rate it!" with responses of "Sure", "Remind me later", and "No, thanks"

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Implementation-wise, you don't need to involve the browser at all, or the system popup.

I use this:

InvokeActionItem {
            title: "Leave Review"
            ActionBar.placement: ActionBarPlacement.OnBar
            imageSource: "images/review_icon.png"
            query {
                invokeTargetId: "sys.appworld"
                invokeActionId: "bb.action.OPEN"
                uri: "appworld://content/51274"
            }
        }

The key there would be the URI. You can probably work something out based on this which suits your "more intrusive" situation. :smileyhappy:

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jkurtw

Oh, sweet! Thanks. 

Having it visible at all times like that is plenty intrusive for me :smileyhappy: Much appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
kunal_one
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: wifi

I was looking to this, thaks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.