Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
harshalbid271
My Device: Newb Playbook Developer

How to use external libraries

Hi, I'm new to working on large project and i'm facing problems trying to integrate 3rd party libs into my project. All of the source codes for such libraries i've downloaded (such as id3lib, fftw) come with instructions such as run .configure; make ; install

From what i understand, what i need to do to use such libraries is use the header file provided in the includes folder(usually) and add the -l flag for the library when linking. I probably just looking for instructions to generate the library file.

I've spent the entire day trying to get this to work but to no result. I've picked up many new skills such as working with cascades but without the help of such external libraries i wont be able to add much value to my application. Any help, or links to guides will be greatly appreciated.

Contributor
jamespaulmuir
My Device: Z10 / PlayBook 16GB

Re: How to use external libraries

If you are in a cascades project, here is a method to specify the -l flag:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/Adding-library-to-linker-in-BB10/m-p/17140...

Contributor
harshalbid271
My Device: Newb Playbook Developer

Thank you James for your time, but that is not what im looking for. The libraries im dealing with have not been compiled yet and i'm looking for instructions to do that.

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

I've found that many build scripts work better on Linux than on Windows. If your dev environment is Windows, it's often better to start out building the dependant libs on Linux in a VM first, then copy to or replicate on Windows once you succeed and understand how it works.

This article provides a lot of background info:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/documentation/porting_overview_1970891_11.html

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
BikeAtor
My Device: Playbook

I would also say: use Linux in a VB to compile the libs and then copy them to Windows. Or use the Linux-VB to do the whole development. The System on the Playbook is Unix (QNX), so the best way to develop for it is using a Unix system.