Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
pmpascua
My Device: BB10

Re: How to write text on image

Thans for the reply guys but I really need the QT drawText() to write a text on a image and I dont need QML to write a text on top of the image. I want a text IN the image. Im building an app that use a hand drawn writing to compare to 1 character in image and I dont think a QML code composed of a imageview and a label on top of an image will do that, unless you tell me it can. I'll probably use images of characters for now until this issue is resolved.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
becker666
My Device: Storm

Did u ever managed ???  care t share it ??? I'm on the same boat I need to draw labels on top of a drawing which varies according to the parms.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

You guys don't ready replies.  Currently you can not use QT DrawText().  It does not work and it will crash.

BlackBerry does not have any timeline to add this feature.  I have reported this problem months ago.

Please use plain text.
Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB

This is horrible. Can (at least theoretically) exist some workaround? Or we have to use some kind of bitmap fonts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Please use plain text.
New Developer
becker666

Yep I almost dropped the whole thing :Rolleyes: but I was too deep into it that decided to make it work, depends on the app if you have dynamic graphics w/text then it is a big problem, Qt does support text it is the BB that has the issues with the Font library stuff.. Make up labels into small images and draw them on top of your graphics pretty crappy, (just as bad as dealing with the locale stuff) but that is how I got around that somehow.

In the Palm days we used to have a big bitmap and grab a section with the graphics as they didnt have smaller fonts we came a long way to kinda go back to that.

Supposedely you can go GL but have not seen a decent sample ... other than text the drawing QPainter is supported well. 

Cheers 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
sabdelsayed
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 and Q10

[ Edited ]

Hi, please request this feature through the Developer Issue Tracker. Only then, can the request be escalated to our internal team at BlackBerry. If bug already reported, then please add the link to it to this forum post.

@SamarAbdelsayed

Did this answer your question? Please accept post as solution.
Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Found a bug? Report it using the Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
becker666

I needed to get an App out of the door so just made it work, not clean and depends on your needs. I tried absolute positioning but that  took me nowhere,  I didn't have a large  vocabulary of text so made images of the text and draw it on top ... pretty clumsy but there was no way out and my deadline was tight.  Qt does support it BB10 doesn't not a good reason given.

Please use plain text.
Developer
hrbuckley
My Device: LE Z10

Just stopped by to check up on this and found it is still unresolved. I have, so far, been able to work arround the issue by using TextArea or Label overlays. This is not acceptable when the goal is to produce an image that will be displayed outside the application, or indeed off the BlackBerry device.

I appreciate that bug should be reported in order to be addressed, but there was a report of this the first time I encountered it back in 2012: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-427

I was surprised to see this simple closed as not a bug, but there is another one created recently: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-1595

This also ends with a suggest that there be a feature request.

Ultimately this really comes down to the requirement to mix Qt graphics calls into a Cascades application because Cascades does not provide the ability to paint on an image. A workaround was provided where the painting is done on a QImage and the image data trasferred to a Cascades Image for display. This workaround is quite good, except we can not use QPainer::drawText. 

There is a feature request that predates the earlies bug report that I can find: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-1

It really is a sever limitation because I can generat some very informative, and also very pretty images on BB10 but can not export them with annotations intact. Which is qute a limitation.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

I have raised the issue during Dev A/B days and today the problem is still not fixed.  I have submitted the bug report too.

From the reply I got from BB I do not think they intend to add drawing text function.  They said it is not a bug.  They just said Cascade does not support it and gave me workaround to draw label on top of the image in the UI.  Like that is NOT what I wanted.

Like what kind  of freaking platform that doesn't support drawing text on images.

Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10

It would be a very useful feature to have but the label method works just not nearly as well

Please use plain text.