Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
moschap
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9700

Howto Record data from the OS10 Device Audio Jack

Good day Everyone, I dont know if this is the correct forum but i just had to try. Please can someone help with how to read data from an adapter connected to the audio jack of an OS10 device. And if that is not currently possible then what other options are available to capture data from an external interface? (i know there is NFC and Bluetooth, but hoping for a cheaper alternative than both). Regards
Retired
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

Re: Howto Record data from the OS10 Device Audio Jack

It depends on the data coming in the audio jack.

You'd have to sample (record) from the input and analyse the data.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
New Developer
moschap
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9700

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for the response. The kind of data that i want to read is for instance a card reader that is attached to the audio jack of the device.

However i realized that these readers have API's that ship with them to use but they are mostly in Objective C or java neither of which is compactible with the OS currently (at least that is to my understanding). Is there a way that i can make those work or do i need the suppliers of the card readers to port their API to C/C++.

Regards

Retired
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

Hi, 

Is their API open? If not - they'd have to be involved with porting.

Thank you.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

However i realized that these readers have API's that ship with them to use but they are mostly in Objective C or java neither of which is compactible with the OS currently (at least that is to my understanding). Is there a way that i can make those work or do i need the suppliers of the card readers to port their API to C/C++.

You could perhaps develop the application in Android, which may or may not be compatible with your java API. Then you can possibly load your app on the BB10 Android player if your app is compatible.

The audio jack will probably record on the audio jack only if the line connected uses a mic output. The Z10 probably won't be able to record data if the audio is just a stereo audio output. This is how it was for the PB and pre bb10 devices.

Scott