Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: I've started but should I finish?

@steve_web Thanks for the quote could you post the link to it? New app nothing to get excited about. :-)

@simon_hain I generally don't write my Android apps with Google API's and I've never seen a percentage of apps that do to don't, but I take your point.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

@BBSJdev the link should have been in my reply about the CrackBerry article... but maybe the spam-detection killed the link?

Here it is again:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-statement-google-play

If it didn't show up above, just visit CrackBerry directly... it was posted: By Adam Zeis on 12 Nov 2013 08:25 am

Just to note a follow up article was posted regarding the "hopeful" ability to load APKs from the file manager... (e.g. an option for the "hardcore"... but not likely for all of the typical end users.

http://crackberry.com/you-may-soon-be-able-load-apk-blackberry-10-right-file-manager

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10

BlackBerry insists no Play Store is coming, but as for APK conversion on device.

:Phone:

simon_hain wrote:
I wondered for a long time why BB talks about "mobile computing" a lot but does not manage to convert an apk on-device.

I am not convinced that the PlayStore thing is real, but we won't know until it can be confirmed as i doubt that BB would let that one out early.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

I wonder if there will also be OTA downloads for bar files, would be pretty neat.

Explaining our beta customers how sideloading works is always quite a hassle.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr

Agreed. I just told my 14yo that she is getting my black Z10 when my red limited edition Z10 arrives, and she is so thrilled she is vibrating (she is on an iPhone 3GS right now), but I am not looking forward to telling her how she has to get a debug token and convert the APKs for the apps and games she loves from iOS (Android versions, of course). I was leaning toward just telling her I'll do the sideloading for her, but if they roll out this OTA APK installation soon it could make the whole issue moot.

:Clap:

simon_hain wrote:
I wonder if there will also be OTA downloads for bar files, would be pretty neat.

Explaining our beta customers how sideloading works is always quite a hassle.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
brad_qqq
My Device: Dev Alpha C,Z10 LE

See the following articles:

http://n4bb.com/install-android-app-apks-directly-blackberry-10-2-1/

http://n4bb.com/use-amazon-app-store-1mobile-install-android-apps-blackberry-10/

Blackberry  should  recommend users to use native applications.It is unfair for native developers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr

I'm actually not too worried about this. Everything else being equal, a native app is a more enjoyable and desirable experience. Given two functionally and aesthetically equivalent apps, one native, and the other an Android port, I doubt many BlackBerry users would choose the ported one. It is not that BlackBerry users prefer or even want Android apps, it is that some popular apps are not available on BB10 due to the relatively small user base. What this really does is give BB users access to applications that would never make it to the platform any other way.

There are many BlackBerry lovers who won't install ported Android apps even if a native version is not available. Yes, this development opens the door to the really popular Android app developers never bothering to build a native BlackBerry version, but I'd still be willing to bet that on the average BlackBerry 10 device less than one in five installed apps will be Android ports. BlackBerry users are hungry for native apps, we are getting more of the big players all the time, and if you can produce one that is comparable to or better than an Android version, you can be a big fish in a small pond.

brad_qqq wrote:

http://n4bb.com/use-amazon-app-store-1mobile-install-android-apps-blackberry-10/

Blackberry  should  recommend users to use native applications.It is unfair for native developers.

brad_qqq wrote:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Currently on my phone the ratio is 3:1 on android apps to native, yes I'm not a typical user but count yours up and see.
Like you I have a child and so most of these are android games, I'm willing to bet when your daughter gets your Z10 and starts asking for the latest games your ratio will go in favour of Android too.

The easier it is for users to do this the harder it will be for native to compete.

[Edit] Also if you spent some time hanging out in the User forums or on CrackBerry you might get a different opinion on what real users really want, I'd say the average user doesn't care or know if it's a native app they just want the functionality they believe they are missing no matter what (i.e. the apps on TV, promoted in magazines, run by friends).  A few years from now I guess we'll see which of us is correct. :-)

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Your big fish analogy is interesting as it's exactly the reason I chose to code for BB10.

My thinking at the time was get in early in a growing market and get away from the needle in a haystack Android market.

Shame it didn't work out quite that way.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

games are a different field. all bb10 users i know don't like android ports, and looking at reviews i often see a "missing" star for non-native apps even if they work good.

the integration in native apps (especially bfb) is just better, and i think customers reward that.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.