Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

I've started but should I finish?

Well I started a brand new project, but with the news that the Android Play store is coming in the next version of the OS I'm finding it hard to justify finishing it.

I can understand the financial reasons for BlackBerry doing this but from a native developer point of view this is only going to reduce sales further.

Any others have thoughts on this?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
Benecore
My Device: Q10, Z10LE, Nokia N950, DAB....

Re: I've started but should I finish?

I'm very disapointed if is true. I'm a biggest Android hater on the world, i think :smileyvery-happy:.
I really don't like, that, it will be available Google Play store.

I only hope that most users will prefer native applications :smileywink:

If helped give a like. If your problem was solved mark the post as "Solution"
Portfolio: BlackBerry Nokia
Social: Twitter | Facebook
About Me / Blog DevPDA | Blog
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Regardless if additional android apps will be coming in I think you should build the app you want to build... Give it your personal touches and make the app how you feel it would work best. (Yahoo was king of search but it didn't stop Google from trying to create a better search engine)

As for this specific "Google Play" store thing... I think we need some hard facts vs speculation and rumour before getting too worried.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
BBSJdev

I've stated before that I really like Cascades and programming for it is fun but at the end of the day writing a native app when you know you will be competing against 100 others on Play (1 or 2 of which will probably be highly rated and generationally mature) just won't make a lot of sense.

Hope is good but I can't see it happening.

Even as a developer I won't be able to resist installing (potentially well-known, free and mature) android apps against new native ones.

Even if they choose not to bring it to the phone and only allow native apk installs the first articles you will see will be how to install Google Play. :smileysad:

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
BBSJdev

Unfortunately I don't build small apps so therefore I have to consider rumours before putting considerable time and effort in to an app that could just as easily be written in Java using the Android tools and potentially sell equally as well on a future BBOS with tha added advantage of being on two platforms.

Thanks for both your comments BTW.

Developer
BBSJdev

... and the difference with Google vs Yahoo is that they had many more (incredibly smart) developers to work on it exactly the kind of people we will be competing with if the rumours are true. :smileyhappy:

Developer
steve_web

Just remember there's been rumours of an Apple watch and a TV now for 3+ years... With nothing official from Apple. Just be careful not to make a business decision based on rumours alone.

BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

I wondered for a long time why BB talks about "mobile computing" a lot but does not manage to convert an apk on-device.

I am not convinced that the PlayStore thing is real, but we won't know until it can be confirmed as i doubt that BB would let that one out early.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
steve_web

It's a rumor...

See this CrackBerry post this morning... http://crackberry.com/blackberry-statement-google-play after they reached out to BlackBerry for clarification.

Here's what BlackBerry had to say about the rumors:

"There is no planned support for Google Play on BlackBerry. BlackBerry World remains the primary source for trusted and curated BlackBerry applications and we continue to support open standards and open source tools so BlackBerry developers can continue to create great apps on any of the development platforms we support."

Thus you can and should continue working on your app! (and feel free to tell us about the app (PM?) so we can get excited about it too!

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

whoever thinks google would grant another company access to anything should maybe check the ID of his reality instance.

I suggest this article about the iron grip google has on its eco system:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-m...

It also explains why a growing number of apps will never be run on a non-google-android device, neither a BB10 Android runtime nor an Amazon android device or the like.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter