Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Visitor
alkindiisda
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Image processing and OCR possibility on Blackberry 10 Smartphone

Hi all, I want to develope OCR application on Blackberry 10, Any suggestion that i should consider like OCR engine, image processing library and Blackberry hardware?, currently i know some image processing like opencv and emgucv, but i i dont know that libraries able to do OCR on Blackberry 10, i have a plan to combine tesseract and opencv to make OCR, because of blackberry OS 10 is still new, i need some opinion regarding this topic before i do this work. For all of you have experience about this please share it to me :smileyvery-happy:, thanks

Please use plain text.
Retired
mwoolley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Image processing and OCR possibility on Blackberry 10 Smartphone

[ Edited ]

Hi

take a look at this video... it's all worth watching but at about 22 minutes in, you'll find information on OCR:

http://active.mediasite.com/mediasite/Play/7fa3010c-37a3-45ad-a3fd-6d58f032d274

OpenCV is mentioned at about 27 minutes.

Tessaract gets a mention and the blog post about compiling it for BlackBerry 10 is here:

http://www.xitijpatel.com/2012/11/21/compiling-tesseract-for-blackberry-10

Hope this helps

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
New Developer
ncaissie
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Rogers Canada

I can't access the video. It asks to login and the site doesn't have a register form. (That I can find)

Do you have another source?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
caryshiller
My Device: none
My Carrier: HTC

alkindiisda wrote:

Hi all, I want to develope OCR application on Blackberry 10, Any suggestion that i should consider like OCR engine, image processing library and Blackberry hardware?, currently i know some image processing like opencv and emgucv, but i i dont know that libraries able to do OCR on Blackberry 10, i have a plan to combine tesseract and opencv to make OCR, because of blackberry OS 10 is still new, i need some opinion regarding this topic before i do this work. For all of you have experience about this please share it to me :smileyvery-happy:, thanks

Seems that someone has develoeped an OCR for BB 10. Maybe you can ask some useful information from him/her.

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-announcements-f281/scan-text-ocr-pdf-scanner-blackberry-10-sale-lim...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
susannamoore
My Device: Onyx
My Carrier: Pay Per Cloud

Have you find an engine for your OCR application?

I'm not expert in this aspect, but I've used Tesseract OCR Engine for my application.

This engine is an open source to use, so suggest you goolge it to see whether it is available for you!

Please use plain text.