Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Image rendering using libimg library or Cascade framework

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I need one help on Images in BB10. In the BB10 documentation it is descirbe that two framework are there  to work with images one is libimg library (In which i am totaly new) and Cascade framework. I want to make an application in BB10  so not able to get idea which to use. I am new to both the frmework so which is batter one to work with.

And i did not find any sample application where Libimg library is used to work with images in BB10. 

I also want to know which framework give best result in BB10 so i can start learing that.

Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

Re: Image rendering using libimg library or Cascade framework

There is a rather excellent and detailed thread describing some of the merits of using libimg. 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/Adivice-on-libimg-use/td-p/1439699

That being said, I find it highly unlikely that you would need to use such a low-level library. 

If these images you're loading are for the UI, or used anywhere within it, I would stick with using Cascades. 

However, as I understand it, the ImageView class is missing some features, so if you're doing any kind of image manipulation, I would keep libimg in mind.... Maybe. 

Ultimately, the image needs to be shown on screen, and Cascades is the easiest way to do that. 

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi
My Device: Not Specified

Hi.

I have one more question about images. I successfully render image using libimg library. But now i want to know Can we do image editing using libimg library? i search it on a net but did not find any way around to do image editing using libming.

Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

No, you'll have to modify the image in some other manner to allow editing. libimg simply displays the image data that you pass to it.

That said, since the image data is held in memory, it shouldn't be hard to manipulate yourself. But definitely use an existing library, as this is a solved problem, don't go rewriting code yourself. I don't have suggestions for a good one to use though.

Also, in the future, it may make sense to create a new post to ensure your question gets answered. You've asked 2 different questions in this thread, so it technically deserves 2 threads.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.