Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
tjaartb
My Device: simulator
My Carrier: simulator

Interacting with Wi-Fi

I would like my app to be able to interact with Wi-Fi on blackberry devices. More specifically:

• Passively react to scans
  • Iterate available hotspots and connect to a specified one
  • Passively reaco to connection and disconnection of wifi, including enabling/disabling of wifi
  • Enable/disable wifi on the device
  • Save/access/delete hotspot configurations

I have looked through the documentation with little success. I have found what seems to be a wi-fi library but it's only function is checking whether wifi is connected.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Bluenoser
My Device: BlackBerry Z30/Z10/Z10LE/Q10/PlayBook

Re: Interacting with Wi-Fi

[ Edited ]

That is more a function of MDM vs a local app. I don't see how a local app on the device should have these functions unless you want to administer the device which like I said is a MDM function.

Maybe you want to clarify the reasons that you want the things you listed?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tjaartb
My Device: simulator
My Carrier: simulator

Hi @Bluenoser

The app is required to detect and connect to specific SSIDs and react to their presence on the users request. It makes connecting to those specific SSIDs automated for users, and there are specific actions that need to be performed when an active connection to that SSID is initiated or disconnected.

The purpose is not a settings application or replacing the device's own administrative functionality.

An example of the utility of this kind of application may be a backup service that initiates a backup when connected to a home network, or checking in at a specific location.

Reacting to scans allows a user to be notified when they have reached an SSID that meets this requirement.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yogibong
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: 9700

hi Tjaartb,

Is in the new 10.2 SDK could do what you want?

I saw a lot of wifi service function here

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/core/com.qnx.doc.wifi_service.lib_ref/topic/manual...

And it said "The APIs support hotspot aggregator applications that can configure Wi-Fi profiles and receive aggregator specific event notifications to allow connection at Wi-Fi hotspots on the user's behalf."

But i kinda confuse how to do it. Let say what function i should call first, and there's a lot of struct with no explanation what its contain.

Please use plain text.