If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
kboone
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

Invoking other applications from a native application

Hi

Is there any way to invoke an application _other than_ the built-in applications? For example, I have an epub reader installed. Can I invoke this from my own application? Is there some way to get a list of installed applications?

I am porting a desktop-style file manager application, and the apparent inability to get any control over which application is launched in response to a specific file type is a bit of a hurdle.

Best wishes

Kevin

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Invoking other applications from a native application

You will need to look at the invocation framework to see supported apps of your file types and open those apps from your app.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kboone

Thanks. Can you provide any more detail? I'm unclear what the invocation framework is :/ I looked at the API functions related to the Navigator, but didn't see anything that seemed relevant. Am I looking in completely the wrong place?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kboone

Answering my own question to some extent -- this Invocation Framework seems to be related to Blackberry 10. Is there anything similar available for current production tablets?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

There is not.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kboone

OK, thanks.

It's good not to have to waste a lot more time looking for something that doesn't exist. However, the lack of such a basic facility does seem to represent a significant deficiency in the platform :/

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

It is a significant deficiency of the platform. It's best for developers to think of the PlayBook, until now, as in many ways an early prototype of the operating system. Many of the things we expected to be present in it, such as this feature, were never added.

It's all about BB10 now. We don't have any date yet (other than "not before the launch of BB10") for when the PlayBook will get upgraded to BB10, but it's only when it does that we'll really be able to say it doesn't have a number of significant deficiencies...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kboone

Thanks. I was coming round to that way of thinking myself. It's great that we can run real C apps on the PlayBook -- something that is a nightmare on Android, for example; it's a shame that the rest of the platform doesn't allow this power to be exploited to the full.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Has anyone located the schema's to invoke native/packaged apps for BB10? Particularly, calendar, contacts and maps.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

I use QDesktopServices to open the native email and browser on the playbook, have you tried that for contacts etc?

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.