Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Invoking other applications from a native application

Additionally, during JAM America, it was mentioned that the list of apps returned for a requested type would always give the core apps priority treatment (calendar, contacts, maps, etc.) and that 3rd party replacement apps would be more difficult to obtain a reference to. Has any word be mentioned on that actually happening or will 3rd party replacement apps be on a level field with those provided by RIM?
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I need to do it via the invocation framework and am trying to find the schema for the different types of actions (open, edit, etc.)
Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: n/a

I'm really thinking about how to invoke 3rd-party applications. Suppose I have an EPUB book reader, for example, and I want to run it when the user selects a .epub file from a list. My understanding is that, at present, this is impossible with the PB.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

kboone, you're correct that it's impossible with the PlayBook OS, and will likely always be so. That is, until the PlayBook gets BB10 next year, you're unlikely to find a solution.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier

The list of BB10 core applications (how to invoke them) has been published here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/invocation/invoking_core_app...

But its missing information about Contacts app. Specifically the action and mime type. Any clue how to find that out?

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Contributor
My Device: BB10 Alpha Dev B
My Carrier: TIGO