Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
zerprize
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Invoking phone calls on BB10

[ Edited ]

In my app I can successfully make a phone call to a selected number using the phone api:

bb::system:: phone:: Phone phone;
phone.initiateCellularCall("519-555-0100");
or using the invokation framework.

However, using both methods I get a dialogue asking 'Start call to 
519-555-0100?' with Cancel or OK buttons.

Is there any way to make the call without this prompt?

Please use plain text.
Developer
kylefowler
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Invoking phone calls on BB10

Nope that is by default in the phone application. I assume its to make sure a call doesnt get initiated from another app without their permission
Like all of my posts
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zerprize

Thanks for the quick response!

That is what I suspected. I will give up my aspirations for now.

I would appreciate anyone letting me know if this is likely to change anytime. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

This s*cks too.  why do they do this? Even on the Java BB phones you can call without putting the prompt.  Just making the flow process more backwards.  I don't need another prompt asking the user if they really want to call. Of course they want to call.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Sith_Apprentice
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

I would assume this would prevent apps from making calls without a user knowing. For instance you could write an app to place a phone call to a number, only when the application is running in the background, etc. If a user were not paying attention this could easily cause issues. I am not saying that anyone on here would, but not everyone has the user's best interest in mind.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zerprize

That's exactly what I wanted to do! But as defined and set-up by the user before hand, for example, as a security app that places a pre-defined call if someone else picks up the phone. What I have done is used pim messages to send an SMS message instead. An update for the app is currently in for review. 

Thanks for the confirmation. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Brennan12325
My Device: None
My Carrier: Telus

It seems like sort of a cop out by RIM not allowing this functionality. The app approval process should filter out all apps making unprompted phone calls with malicious intent. Make it a permission you need to request and stringently review apps that request the permission, don't disallow the functionality completely :/

----------------------
Check out my app, Alien Flow for reddit

And of course, like my post if you found it helpful or informative!
Please use plain text.
Developer
nimithingu
My Device: Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Vodafone Mumbai

I am also using the same API call to initiate the Phone call however the application that I am making is to be used in the Work Profile all the other functionality works like in compose of email but Phone app does not get initiated in the Work profile it works on Personal profile of the phone.

Do I need any special permission since it is been deployed on the BES Server?  Please help me...

Thank You.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mailsameer
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi I am also facing the same issue as nimit, Is there any special handling needed for Work Persona in case of BES?

Sameer Joshi
Blackberry developer.
Please use plain text.