Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
cuixu66
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: No mobile
Accepted Solution

Is native SDK suitable for text-based application?

I am writing a text-based application for Playbook. I have been reading the libraries and learning native SDK for past days. Now I can't find any easy way to "draw" texts on the playbook screen.

Please give me some directions or suggestions.

If native SDK is suitable, please let me know the related libraries or knowledge I need to look for.

If native SDK is not suitable, which development tool would you suggest me to use? Html5 or something else? And why?

I am new to this forum and new to playbook.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Is native SDK suitable for text-based application?

The Native SDK is not really suitable yet, unless you are willing to use add-on libraries such as the Qt port, which may still be a work in progress. The NDK is for now target primarily at games, or other apps for which it's appropriate to basically generate the entire UI "manually".

HTML5 can obviously handle text very well. So can AIR. I can't recommend one over the other, or any other environment for you, since "text-based application" doesn't really describe to me what you're trying to achieve.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cuixu66
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: No mobile

Hello, Peter,

Thank you very very much!!!

I have been puzzled by this for past 2 days.

I will check out both Air and Html5 and come back for questions if any:smileyhappy:.

Thank you for the fast response. Really helpful!

btw, where can I find information about the Qt port?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I know little about the Qt port, but I'm nearly certain searching this forum or scanning the previous threads will quickly find you some info about it, including (if you can't find it by googling) a link to the Open Source github.com account which RIM has to hold the code for it and many other packages that may interest you.  (I'd post links directly but I'm really not a big NDK user yet, and don't have the info handy.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I have no experence with it, and it might not be what you are looking for, but have you looked at Ncurses? It's included on the PlayBook already.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
dtomilovskiy
My Device: RIM Developer
My Carrier: Rogers

Good morning cuixu66.

We have several NDK samples that render text to screen via GLES 1.1 (and a 2.0 version is coming soon). I have wrapped this functionaliy in a small package called bbutil.

Take a look at the GoodCitizen and HelloWorldDisplay NDK samples, that may or may not be the way to go for your app. And let me know if you have questions.

Please use plain text.