Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

Is the system="true" part required with <action>run_native?

Pretty much all the native code sample projects I've seen have used this action in their bar-descriptor.xml file:

<action system="true">run_native</action>

Can anyone say what the system="true" part is for, and is it really required for all native code?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
cdamus
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is the system="true" part required with <action>run_native?

The system="true" attribute identifies the action as a "system action", which is not presented to users of the app to authorize in the dialog that shows on first launch.  Rather, authorization of this action is granted by the OS (if it elects to).  The other case (absent of this attribute, or system="false") is a "user action" which is granted (or denied) by the user of your app.

All native applications require this particular action to be granted them in order to execute native code.

HTH,

Christian

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Is the system="true" part required with <action>run_native?

Thanks cdamus.

Another item I can add now: aside from the response above, the signing server insists on the system="true" part being present, so even if it would otherwise work, you won't be able to sign without having that attribute set true.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.