Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
Lawrence_Liu
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 Z10

Is there any information about choosing of different development option?

Dear All,

Is there any information about choosing of different development option? including native SDK, HTML5 and Adobe air.

What's the advantage and disadvantage of those options and how they best matching to different app catalogs?

Is the follow true technically?

If developing a game, then native SDK is the best choice,

If developing a productivity app, then html5 is the best choice?

Any adviser could help on decide the platform choosing?

I am going to developing a productivity app for BB10, which might be the best choice?

BTW: Techinically C/C++ or HTML5 both are not  issue for me. 

New Developer
MrKaktus
My Device: PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Re: Is there any information about choosing of different development option?

I think this is exactly what you're searching for :

https://developer.blackberry.com/develop/platform_choice/ndk.html

So Qt, Cascades for productive app would be my choice, and C/C++ for games (both are native api).

Contributor
Lawrence_Liu

Dear MrKaktus,

You mentioned NDK, but still I have some concerns about using HTML5 vs QT/Cascades vs C/C++, since if if am using HTML5, seems it would be a little bit easier for me to port the app to other platform like iPhone/Android, Because it's a common technology sharing the same standard among different venders. 

Do you have any insight about this comparation?

Thanks.

New Developer
MrKaktus
My Device: PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Nope, sorry, I have never used HTML 5.

Good luck though :smileyhappy:

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

For basic productivity app, I would suggest AIR. You can have it done in no time. Even a lot of basic games can be done in AIR. It is a type safe OO language bases on ActionScript that has been a solid framework for years.
Contributor
Lawrence_Liu

[ Edited ]

Dear jtegen,

My concern about AIR is it's a non-standard technical, and it highly depends on Adobe, so we might get into the hole that bounded to a specify platform or even a company. it will be no choice for us if they decided to stop support this.

Like FLASH on Android platform, they stopped to support this in the future, it will be a big pain for those company who is developing games using flash on Android.

ALso I have saw some concerns about air is that, it is a cross platform integrated framework, but actually the performance is not as good as the native frameworks, makes it: possible for every plaftorm but not the best for any of the platform.

Do you have any experience on this point?

Regards.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

There was a lot of mis-information about Flash in browsers and AIR. Flash is not AIR. True, there is a dependency to Adobe and their continued support AIR. Adobe has said they are 100% committed to mobile AIR (but we all know that companies can make some strange decisions). But that can be true with any technology. In theory, RIM could stop support of Qt in the future. BB10 is not an open platform, so there is a risk to picking any solution (except maybe for NDK and Cascade).

Yes, there is a slight performance issue with any run-time environment that sits on top of the native technology.  Once AIR on BB10 is upgraded to AIR 3.4 (Spring 2013), that performance issue will be almost non existent.

It is a question of slight performance issue (and there are tricks to reduce that, but in most cases, the normal user cannot tell the difference between a native app and an AIR app) and having a cross platform, integrated OO framework that can run on multiple mobile platforms (Android and iOS) without having to re-code your app.  I was able to get an app running on Android in about 1 minute after it was developed for the PlayBook.  

Lastly, AIR protects your coding investment in terms of market share.  If done in AIR, and RIM does not succeed in terms of re-capturing a market share that allows a developer to get a return on their investment, then that investment can be brought to Android and/or iOS with very little additional cost.

If RIM does well, and I can squeeze a noticible performance increase by porting to Qt, I will probably do that next year.  It is tough trying to get an app out when the tools and APIs are still evolving.  AIR gets me to market faster.

Again, all this depend on the type of app you have and the skills needed to develop it.  Your mileage will vary.