Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
nirhor_roy
My Device: Blackberry Playbook Os 2.0
My Carrier: Robi Axiata Limited
Accepted Solution

Issue with deploying Qt applications on playbook

I am just starting BlackBerry native development. So the questions might be silly. I am developing an application which require rich user interface. Hence I googled a bit and found that BlackBerry Native SDK for tablet OS has support  for Qt. I downloaded Qt for BlackBerry from github. I created a small window with a hello world label and a text field. I deployed it on my playbook. Everything went all right but the problem is it just takes too much time. Is it normal to take so much time?(like 10 to 15 minutes) And is there a better solution other than using Qt?

Another thing should I be able to use other core features of the native UI while using Qt? Like recording and playing?

For BlackBerry 10 there is the cascade framework integrated with the IDE. Is there something similar for the playbook?Please help me find answers.:Helpsmilie:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BikeAtor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: Issue with deploying Qt applications on playbook

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nirhor_roy

Thanks. The post you mentioned solves my porting problem. But is there a something better than Qt ? Which is richer or faster?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

[ Edited ]

nirhor_roy wrote:

But is there a something better than Qt ? Which is richer or faster?

Nope, nothing close in my opinion...

Remember there is qml that goes along with Qt, I dont think you will find anything faster then that for developing your UI's.

If your talking about deployment speed than read the thread mentioned above, it describes a couple different methods to efficiently deploy...

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nirhor_roy

@John Again forgive me as the question might be silly. In the above mentioned post you said that you kept only the libraries you needed in a separate folder and you set the path in the descriptor.xml file to that folder. How can I find which library files my Qt application uses?

I have another very important query. Suppose I have developed the user interface using Qt. Can I use other core functionalities of the native sdk that interacts with the UI? Suppose I have a button and when I click it a music is to be played. Can I do it with open source audio library supported by the native sdk? Things like handling the orientation of the orientation of the device, multithreading- can all this interact with my UI? 

And one final question any good tutorial for learning Qt?

Please use plain text.
Developer
BikeAtor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

You can call most NDK-functions from Qt. I use the GPS-API to get positions for example. I don't know if you can integrate GUI-elements. But I guess it will be diffucult.

If you like to port your App to other systems it would be wise to stay in Qt as long as possible. Qt is running on many platforms.

Tutorials for Qt can be found in the internet. You can also buy books :-) Playbok specific answers can be found here in the forum.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

[ Edited ]

Hi,

For basic Qt apps with no qml I have these libs in my deploy folder:

libQtCore.so.4,  libQtNetwork.so.4,  libQtOpenGL.so.4,   libQtSvg.so.4,
libQtGui.so.4,     libQtXmlPatterns.so.4

For qml apps I have these:

libQtCore.so.4,        libQtNetwork.so.4,  libQtSql.so.4,          libQtXml.so.4, libQtDeclarative.so.4,  libQtOpenGL.so.4,   libQtSvg.so.4,
libQtGui.so.4,          libQtScript.so.4,   libQtXmlPatterns.so.4

There are many examples and tutorials that come with Qt as well as a plethora of information on the web.

You can include the bps header file in your Qt app to use the native functions for the playbook and there are some examples around here to access sound etc.

Good luck!

Jon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nirhor_roy

Thanks a lot.
Please use plain text.