Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
gogoDNA

Issues of BB10 beta simulator

[ Edited ]

Issues of BB10 beta simulator

We know that this simulator is a beta version so that issues could not be avoided... But I still hope the authors of this simulator could see this thread.

A question for them: Why not use a standalone mode simulator (like the BB Java platforms)? VM is really slow and trouble-ful!!!

Following issues I found on my dev PC and laptop:

1. Hardware requirements are too high! Firstly, VMware 4.x needs at least 64bit CPU ---- so that my old dev PC running Intel P IV CPU is shielded. Secondly, this simulator even called for a powerful graphic card! ---- Come on! We just want to develop some mobile apps! We are not going to play Diablo III!

2. Simulator cannot be resized! The default size of the simulator is toooooo big according to my small laptop screen. I attempt to modify the screen size in VMware Player:
08_resize.PNG
But unfortunately, after modify the size, the boot on procedure will always be frozen here:
03_blocked_boot_screen.PNG
I also tested this on PlayBook Simulator (1.0.7). The result is the same.

3. Some of the menus/app screens cannot be displayed in "BB10DevAlpha" mode. This might be a common issue because I saw some similar posts. When I select "BB10DevAlpha" here:
01_safemode.PNG
After it boot up, whatever button I click on the right-top side of the home screen, nothing happens.
04_main_screen.PNG
If I try to launch the "Brower", I will get a black screen:
05_black_screen.PNG
But, the strange thing is: If I try to launch a test app built by Cascades IDE, it works well (though a little slow...):
06_test_app.PNG
On the other hand, if the simulator is boot up using "BB10DevAlphaSafe" mode, the
menus/app screens can be seen:
07_safe_mode.PNG

PS:
- My work laptop is DELL Latitude E4310
- Windows XP
- CPU: Intel Core i5
- OpenGL tool shows it supports OpenGL 2.1

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lester_Burnham
My Carrier: O2

Re: Issues of BB10 beta simulator

I can't really add anything useful to your post, but I feel your pain. I travel a lot with my 6-year old laptop. I can't even run VMWare Player on this machine!

I can, however, run the *cough*Android (is that a dirty word around here?) simulator on this old laptop and still develop apps for 4.x without having an actual 4.x device available... It may be slow, but it works.

I did feel the same way as you about the graphics requirements etc. but I'm thinking that the new Cascades stuff may be quite graphics intensive? I couldn't tell you because I haven't even looked at Cascades yet as I can't run the emulator and have to develop for my physical Playbook right now, so I'm stuck using the old DIY approach... ;-)

Whatever the case, I can imagine that it would take a huge amount of RIM's resources to develop a simulator for Windows, Linux, Mac... I can understand the business decision behind using a virtual machine.

Pete

Please use plain text.
Developer
gogoDNA

@Lester_Burnham:

Thx for your reply. VM might be a good business decision... But the simulator is only for the developers ---- if the developers even cannot use it, it will become meaningless.

FYI, you might want to try VMware Player 3.1.5. It can play VM of BB10 and has lower requirement for CPU. But, slow, very slow...........

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi

[ Edited ]

In the requirement document given by the RIM said that you have to give 2GB memory to VMWare. In the settings option of the VMWare give the 2GB meory and check after this simulator work fast as compared to current version.

Please see this link : https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/resources

VMware is right choice for BB10 as BB10 is powered with QNX  OS. So on VMWare it is possible to have diffrent OS then  machine OS. So we can run two OS simultaneously.

Please use plain text.
Developer
gogoDNA

Yes, 2G memory can give out better performance ---- but my laptop only have 2G RAM...

The point is, do we really need a so powerful PC to develop for BB10?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Carrier: Rogers

First off, thanks for the feedback as it’s greatly appreciated.  I itemized my response to try and cover all the points/problems you are having with the simulator.   

1) The simulator should work with VMWare 3.X.X but for we have found the accelerated graphics works best on the 4.X.X code lines. 

2) If you’re finding your performance is slow, can you ensure that your CPU supports virtualization technology?  This is usually disabled by default in the BIOS, so you will have to reboot to enable it.  You will notice a substantial performance improvement when its enabled.   Please take a look at the documentation on https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/resources

3) The next external release of the simulator will have a zoom option which will allow you to change the size of the screen on the fly. 

4) When selecting BB10DevAlpha, you are loading our HW Accelerated driver so I’m surprised you’re seeing issues here.  Would you be able to post your dxdiag output or send it to me directly? 

5) We are making improvements to our “safe mode” for our upcoming releases which will give us better performance when we have to use software rendering and also provide support for GLES 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. 

6) You can run the simulator using an older GPU but the problem is if VMWare does not detect a 3D capable card you will have to fallback to safe mode, which means using your CPU to render.  The 8800 GT or greater is recommended, which is about 5 years old, but I have personally run it on older GPU hardware. 

I hope this helps and thanks again for the detailed feedback. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DavidBethala
My Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Hey everyone!

I just downloaded the simulator and have run into a few problems.  For one, when I click on the "Development Mode" icon at the top of the screen, it doesn't respond (I'm trying to get the IP address).  When I try to drag down the Settings menu or click on the "Settings" button at the top of the screen, the home screen just refreshes (a copy of the homescreen drags down instead).  Also, the browser opens to a black screen.

Is there a way to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Developer
gogoDNA

Please see my first post, point 3. Launching the simulator with "Safe Mode" works for me.

Please use plain text.
Developer
gogoDNA

@

- In BB10DevAlpha mode, the display issue seems not a individual issue. I saw other guys have the same issue in some old threads. And also this friend (DavidBethala) posted in this thread. I will send you my dx info to help you solve this issue.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi

Hi,

When i start the BB10 simulator on the VMware it have two option at that time you can give the BB10SafeMode by selecting 2. After that you can able to click on the Dev mode icon and get the IP of the simulator. After finding the IP again you can start the BB10 with normal mode and you are able to run the Open GL application and other Cascade application. if you not restart the simulator and continue to run on the BB10SafeMode then Open GL application is not working.

Please use plain text.