Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Join us at BlackBerry 10 Jam on May 1-3

From the blog post here.

I’m thrilled to share some exciting news with the BlackBerry® developer community. BlackBerry invites you to join us for BlackBerry 10 Jam – a conference dedicated to providing the BlackBerry developer community with insights on the BlackBerry 10 platform; its strengths, the vision, and how developers can make applications that stand out, as well as drive usability and loyalty.

BlackBerry 10 Jam will take place May 1 – 3 at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek in Orlando, FL and will run as a concurrent conference to our annual BlackBerry World™ conference at the Orlando World Center Marriott.

So, why name the conference “BlackBerry 10 Jam?” BlackBerry 10 Jam will allow developers to be part of the initial conversation and learn about the new platform and the evolution of BlackBerry. There is a lot of excitement here at RIM®, from our users and partners about the BlackBerry 10 platform. This is a great opportunity to harness that excitement and show developers the power of BlackBerry 10.

This conference is a unique opportunity for developers to connect with BlackBerry Platform experts and learn more about the benefits and business opportunities of the BlackBerry platform. Developers will gain insight on building applications for the launch of the new BlackBerry 10 later this year.

(Check out our Why build for BlackBerry page and some great posts on the BlackBerry opportunity for developers)

Developers can take part in instructor-led labs, information sessions and more. Sessions and labs will be dedicated to:

• BlackBerry® Native SDK – a C/C++ environment with support for open source libraries
  • HTML5+BlackBerry® WebWorks™ – HTML5 tools with an added layer for app enhancement through BlackBerry WebWorks
  • Adobe® Flash® – The AIR® SDK for BlackBerry allows developers to build apps with Flash+AIR tools
  • Android – the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps will run applications that have been packaged from APK files to BAR files and submitted to BlackBerry App World™

We’ll be providing more information on the conference, the sessions, emerging themes and more in the weeks to come, but head over to www.blackberryjamconference.com/registration to register now.

What are you hoping to see?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Join us at BlackBerry 10 Jam on May 1-3

MSohm wrote:

I'll be honest: if there's nothing new and concrete about Cascades, preferably an actual beta release to work with, or sessions with more than just cool demos of what we'll some day be able to see, then I'd see no point in going.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
MSohm

peter9477 wrote:

MSohm wrote:

I'll be honest: if there's nothing new and concrete about Cascades, preferably an actual beta release to work with, or sessions with more than just cool demos of what we'll some day be able to see, then I'd see no point in going.

BlackBerry 10 Jam will be the place to learn all things BlackBerry 10 development related.  It's the event covering  the SDKs used for building applications for BlackBerry 10.  :smileywink:

Keep an eye on the session catelogue here:  http://www.blackberryjamconference.com/

Mark Sohm

MSohm

Not only will developer attendees get access to the BlackBerry 10 Developer Tools, but they’ll also be receiving a limited edition developer prototype device – the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha™.

Read all about this on our blog here.

Mark Sohm

Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

Working Cascades version (beta, final or whatever) and precompiled Qt port for windows, with Qt creator.
And BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device :smileyhappy:
Developer
guru2000at
My Device: Playbook, q5, z10

@peter: you are right !

i was told cascade is comming soon ... well .. if the sdk(s) are not released, there is no reason flying 8 h ....

what i hope:

* release of cascade

* new sdk (smoe more API calls)

* API for using the camera (which is most important)

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I'm going at this point, in any event. Between the "alpha" devices and the several hints I've seen of non-RIM ("community") people going to present their experience with the Cascades beta, it seems likely this will be where we finally get to the "meat"...

I'm a bit surprised not to see more concrete details on the agenda, but I suppose this is not something they had planned for months in advance, and they're probably working very hard to put together a better picture of what we'll see. Would be nice to know if that's really the case, and when they expect to have those details, but in my case it won't change my plans at this point.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
iravelo
My Device: 9700+PB

i hope that the presentations will ba available online after the show as they were for bbdevcons !
---------<={##}=>---------
I.Ravelo; Renault S.A.S. Corporate BBOS Java Apps Lead Conceptor/Coder; Qt learner
MSohm

iravelo wrote:
i hope that the presentations will ba available online after the show as they were for bbdevcons !

Yes, that is the plan.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor
tbalaclava
My Device: 9700, Playbook 64G

I don't want to sound like a whiner, but it's somewhat disappointing that you would say something coy like that, and not just tell us yes or no... These conferences aren't cheap when flights and everything are factored in, so I really want to be sure that I'll be able to use Cascades when I'm there since the app I have in mind basically depends on it. Been waiting to start developing an app for the Playbook for ages and have been told time and time again that Cascades is coming 'soon'. For me, soon means days or a week or two, not a year.

As Peter said, not much point in a lot of us going if we're just gonna be shown more examples of Cascades without being able to use it. A lot more transparency is needed if you guys want to expand the Blackberry Dev community. I hope you'll take that to heart.