Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
mdmdev
My Device: curve

Keyboard issue

Hello,

My app has input fields that take some url. When I change the language to other than English , the url that I get is not proper, it gets encoded with the charset of current device langguage.... I want the my app should provide only keyboard that takes english language (no matter what the language of the device), so can I customise the keyboard that comes up in my app, to handle the language issue.?

Retired
kizkasen
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

Re: Keyboard issue

At this time, there’s no built for external developers to provide what you are asking for.  It should be noted that Arabic characters in a URL is valid, although uncommon. Users could easily add English (or other Latin language) to their input languages list, which would allow them to enter URLs using the Latin character set.

I think that the onus is on the application in this case to properly handle all valid URLs.

Regular Contributor
mdmdev
My Device: curve

So, we cannot set the default keyboard of an app as English?
Retired
kizkasen
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

Yes, that’s correct; you cannot set the default keyboard of an app as English.

Keyboard language is only dependent of the Settings app. However, there is one case (password fields) where the Input System does force the English keyboard, but it’s not something that is (or will be) exposed to the applications.  

There is no way for an application to force an input language.  Users must add the input language to their input languages list, then select it from Language Switcher (touch and hold on comma key in the VK) to get a particular language.