Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
step_jac
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Landscape Z10 app on Q10

Helle BB NDK devs,

We have an openGL Z10 set to run in landscape (set in BAR and enforced at runtime).

On the Q10 (Dev Alpha C), the OpenGL surface is orientated in portrait (as desired), however the splash screens and system dialogs are oriented in Landscape (as per the BAR settings). Changing the BAR to orientation Default resolves the issue on the Q10, however, it then loads up as Portrait on the Z10, as expected, but not desired.

Is there a BAR setting so that the Z10 runs in landscape but the Q10 runs in portrait (as it's a square screen, you'd thing the Q10 would just ignore this setting). If there aren't solutions, hopefully, a fix in future firmware is coming as it seems wasteful to have to make 2 separate BARs for an app, just to change that flag.

Thanks!

Stephane

Retired
kizkasen
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

Re: Landscape Z10 app on Q10

You can use static asset selectors (resolution) to distinguish between Q10 and Z10

screens and therefore solve your problem.

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/ui/resolution/using_static_asset.html

Developer
step_jac

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this issue seems to be affecting non runtime controlled issues such as the application splash screen and system alert dialogs (via BPS). The app itself is openGL based and that canvas is oriented properly and has no issue.

Developer
step_jac

And, just got an email from BBRY support. It sounds like, for the time being, separate BARs will be needed for the different form factors. Hopefully this gets resolved, as for large apps that are on PlayBook, Z10 and Q10, updating is becoming a hassle.

Retired
kizkasen

Retired
kizkasen

Please note that if you are using C++ Cascades controls or components that are only available in 10.1,
you cannot use one build until all devices switch to 10.1.

Developer
step_jac

Hi Kizkasen,

Thanks for the additional info. However, in this particular case, this isn't an application level issue but a firmware/OS issue. The application is displayed correctly. However, the application splash screen and BPS dialog boxes come out rotated on the Q10.

Best,

Stephane

Retired
psapra
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Can you share what device software version are you seeing this on? 

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra
Developer
step_jac

Hi Pratik,

We've communicated on this topic directly. I had made this posting prior to writing support. The device is a Dev Alpha C running 10.1.0.138.

Best,

Stephane

Retired
psapra
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

That's a fairly old build.  Do you have a sample that reproduces this?   I can give it a try on the latest build and confirm it's been fixed.  

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra